What's new

Connecting HDTV to Digital Cable and A/V Receiver (1 Viewer)

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
What is the best way to connect an HDTV (with HDMI, Component Video connections) to a HD Cable box and A/V Receiver?

Bmoney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
HDMI from cable box to reciever
HDMI from reciever to HDTV

enjoy!

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
I understand that connection. I'll be setting this up for a neighbor. Suppose my neighbor decides that on occasion they want to watch TV WITHOUT the A/V Receiver on, with the connection mentioned they would not be able to watch HD programming?

How about doing HDMI from cable box to TV, and running Component Video from the A/V Receiver and HD DVD player to the TV (I realize I will need either Optical or Coaxial Sound connections for this hookup)? I think with this option they can watch HD programming at all times (with and without A/V Receiver on)?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Walt:

What you're suggesting is certainly workable. For that matter you could do component from the cable box to the TV along with analog stereo and keep the cable to receiver to TV all HDMI. Either arrangement will work, and neither is necessarily better than the other. It could come down to input and ouput placement on the components, the layout of the HT entertainment unit or shelving and the lengths of the various cables. :)

Regards,

Joe

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I've always been set up "directly" video-wise...box (cable then, HDTV now), VCR, DVD wired to the TV...A/V receiver only used for sound.
The wife hates using the receiver.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I've always run everything through the receiver and almost never use the TV speakers. (Unless I'm recording two things and watching a third.)

Don't have a wife.

(These two things may be related. ;))

Regards,

Joe

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Digital Cable box and TV both have Digital Audio (Optical Out). Is it best to connect the Optical Audio Out FROM the Cable box TO the A/V Receiver or FROM the TV TO the A/V Receiver? I was going to connect FROM the Cable Box TO the A/V Receiver.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I used to have the same problem. Then I bought a Harmony activity-based remote and my wife loves it. I run everything through the receiver and my wife just has to push the "Watch TV" button on the remote and everything turns on and gets set to the correct setting.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Actually, running the optical from the TV to the receiver will result in 2.0 PCM in 99% of the TV's out there. The digital audio out on most TV's only outputs 5.1 DD from the internal ATSC tuner. All other sources are downmixed to 2.0 PCM. He should connect the optical from the cable box and not from the TV in order to get DD 5.1 from cable.

Walt H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again guys for the help.

Is there something like a Y adapter for Optical Audio and HDMI cables (similar to the old Y adapters used with the analog cables)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks