Connecting hard drive recorder

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Kulp, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Rob Kulp

Rob Kulp Auditioning

My father has a new hard drive recorder with the Replay TV subscription and he needs help connecting it to his system. My mother would like to be able to record one channel and watch another at the same time.

His hardware is as follows:

1. Pioneer Digital Cable through Time Warner

2. Panasonic VCR

3. Sony DVD

4. Sony Digital Reciever

5. Panasonic Hard Disk Recorder

6. Toshiba 55" HDTV

Right now I'm going from the cable box to hard disk recorder to the reciever for Video 1.

I read that to watch 1 channel and record at the same time, I need to split the cable tv before the cable tv box, then run 1 to the hard disk recorder and 1 to the cable box. My understanding is that this won't allow me to record any of the channels other than basic cable though.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. I don't have a HDR in my system and this is brand new to me.

Thanks,

Rob Kulp

2. Rob Kulp

Rob Kulp Auditioning

Anyone? Anyone?

=)

Rob Kulp

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I can think of several reasons why you're not getting an answer.

1. You're in the wrong area. This question belongs in Personal Data Recorders.

2. You've pretty much summed up the situation. To watch one premium channel while recording another, you either need two cable boxes or a "watch 'n' record" box, which has two tuners in one unit.

None of this is peculiar to TiVo or Replay units. You'd have the same limitations if you were using a VCR.

M.