connecting external amp to Yamaha rx-v1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Lucasso, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

Trying to hook up an external 5.1 amp to my rx-v1.

I currently have two sets of speakers hooked up A/B sides.

Which I use when listening to music.

For movies I want to be able to turn off B side,(which sits in the back of the room) and power a second set of mains front side.

I have been unpluging and replugging in the appropriate speakers.

Since I have a second amp, I thought I could connect the pre-out mains on the receiver to the second amp and

then just turn on the second amp when watching movies.

** problem is: when I plug into the pre-out main on the receiver, both A/B sides stop working on the receiver

and only the mains hooked up the the amp work.

Is there a way of doing what I want with out buying a speaker switcher?

-miles

2. Jon Carlson

Jon Carlson Extra

I have a yamaha RX-V2095, a poor relation to yours, which has jumpers between the pre-out and main-in. I look for tips and tricks occasionally for Yamahas, and came across this tip using search a while ago. The post was from Keith Mickunas (don't want to steal credit) and it looks like you would NEED to put a y-connector from your pre-out to pre-in on the RX-V1, with the other end of the y to your external amp. This should maintain the signal to the RX-V1 (read Keith's words below for more detail). Then just turn off A and/or B speakers from the front panel of the RX-V1 when you want to use the external amp with or without speakers powered from the RX-V1. No guarantees, but seems like it should work, and the only thing it would cost is a couple of Y cables. But I've only looked at the back of the 2095, so it may not work for you. Good Luck.

Keith Mickunas posted: "With the RX-V1 when you plug something into the pre-out, a pin is lifted and the signal to the amp is cut. I'm guessing that will cut the signal to the amp which feeds both outputs (A/B). Plug an RCA cable into the pre-out and see what happens.

There might be a way around this though. You could use a y-cable to connect the pre-out to the amp and the pre-in. Then turn off the A speakers. However this could reduce the signal to the amp which could cause a loss of volume. Only way to know is to test with your receiver."

3. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

An interesting idea. Theoretically, you could boost your main channels 3dB relative to the other channels, and be good to go. I wonder if this could damage the Yammie over time, though?

Martin.

4. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

I will check this out.

-miles