Connecting Explorer 3100 AND 8000 to tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by HerbT, Jan 16, 2003.

1. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

I have had the Explorer 8000 stb (PVR) for 2 months and all is well. Today I called Time-Warner to ask about the future PVR with HD. That's another 8 months away. OK, I said, can I rent the HD stb also and connect both to an AB switch? Then I can record shows like I've been doing and I'll have access to HD programming. Sure, she said, theoretically it will work. Tomorrow they'll deliver the Explorer 3100. So, is the AB the best connection method, or should I use both simutaneously to different hookups on the TV (Tosh 50H82) and alternate with the TV remote, or is there another connection method I should try??? Anyone done this before?

2. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

I have the same setup. You will find that the 3100 up converts all non-HD to 1080i, leaving black bars on the left and right. If you want to have full screen you will need to run an analogue connection as well (S-video, or composite) in addition to component.
    The way I have mine set up is I only use the 3100HD for High def channels and watch everything else on the 8000 PVR. I have a single s-video from the 8000 to my TV, and a component cable from the 3100HD to my TV. Then I just switch inputs on the TV for the corresponding box.
    As for audio, I have a Coax digital from the 3100HD into my receiver and that's it, because I only watch HD channels on the box. The lower channels (analogue) are not sent over the digital Coax. The PVR has regular RCA audio outputs to receive all the channels (since my receiver only has one coax digital in, Denon 3802).
    So I used a macro on my remote to switch to HD (change input on TV as well as source on receiver). Then when I want to watch anything other than HD I have another macro that switches back to the Svideo input on the TV, and changes the source on the receiver.
    Hope that is clear as mud!

3. HerbT

HerbT Auditioning

Thanks for the info! How is your incoming cable split between the 3100 and 8000 (any signal loss caused by split) ?

4. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

I have a 2 way cable split from the wall, this is how it was installed at the very beginning so I have not tried a direct feed. One cable to the 8000, and the other to the 3100. Since the PVR has dual tuners with the single feed, there is no need to route any cables from the HD to PVR.

The picture quality seems to be fine. Analog channels are a bit grainy, but I don't think it is a result of the split. The technician should check the boxes cable strength, if it is between -10 and +10 you should be allright.

5. TimWelborn

TimWelborn Auditioning

Is TW charging you for both the DVR and the 3100 even tho they are "connected" to the same TV?

Thanks,
    tim.

6. Patricio M

Patricio M Agent

Yup, two boxes, means two charges....plus the price of the PVR service.