What's new

Connecting DVD to receiver or TV? (1 Viewer)

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive this question...I will have a DVD player with component and optical audio outs, receiver with optical in and component in. Of course the TV has it all. Is it "better" to connect the DVD player's component outs to the TV via the receiver, or can I save the money on some connectors and send the video signal direct to the TV?

Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Well, this is discussed a bit in the FAQ and PRIMER for this forum, link is in my sig file below-- you might find it generally helpful.

Often the advantage of connecting to the receiver first is: Video switching and centralized control (you select the DVD, both audio and video goes to DVD for you), extra component inputs if the TV has run out (so if your tv has 1 and you have 3 devices, using component switching on receiver is a must), On screen display for receiver setup (some receivers REQUITE use of OSD to setup the unit).

Connecting direct to tv offers advantages: Less cables needed, direct path often means improved picture (amount depends on receiver- many pass just find with no visible defects).

-Vince

Stephen_Ri

Stunt Coordinator
If anything it'll look better if you go directly from the DVD to the TV. Fewer connections is always better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks