Connecting Dvd player to Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JesseO, Feb 4, 2003.

1. JesseO

JesseO Auditioning

Hi
    Perhaps someone can help, I have a Pioneer 811s receiver and planning on buying the Denon 1600 dvd player. The 811 has all kinds of connection on the back, Probably too many. The Denon has probably too few, according to the manual. It has no digital coax but has a digital optical. As I understand this. the digital coax or optical connection is just for audio, Is this correct? In my case I would then just get a Optical cable. So to get the 5.1 surround I would not need to connect the analog wires. Correct?

Now for the video, I can connect with RCA video cord, or the s-video or the component output The later, I believe is best, Correct?

I should mention that the Tv is just a 19 " special. Waiting for the Plasma prices to drop.

My son has a PS2... does this have surround sound?

If you could help me understand this it would be really helpful.

Thanks
    Jesse

2. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Jesse, the only other connection you might want to consider is to connect the analog L/R outputs from the DVD to your receiver via the CD input (if you don't have a CD-player already) or Aux input. This way when you play music CD's you can compare the sound between the DVD-players DAC's (via analog cables)and the receiver's DAC's (via optical cable). As your DVD-player is much newer than your receiver it may sound better because of its newer-generation DAC's. Worth a try.

4. JesseO

JesseO Auditioning

Thanks for the suggestion Rick, However I do not have a cd player, I still have those vinyl things though but the turntable is long gone.

I have a bigger problem, I think, yesterday I hooked up the receiver to the TV using the RCA video cable, I can get video, but when I try the s-video out connection I cannot get video, now I tried another cable and I tried another TV, and the same thing, no s-video thru the s-vidio monitor out connection. Anyone have a clue why? I will be getting a plasma later down the road and wondering if the component video works, right know I have no way to check this out. If it is the receiver, I should take this back since it is only two week old.

Jesse

5. David R Nguyen

Jesse,

When you connect the S-Video, on the back of your DVD player, check if there's a switch that's labeled "Component" or "S-Video" and make sure it's on the the appropriate setting (in your case, S-Video). Also, although it may sound obvious, make sure you're using a proper S-Video cable.

Good luck,

6. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Jesse, I think I may have the answer. I looked at the on-line manual for the Pioneer 810s receiver (assuming it would be close to your 811s), and it says that you have to use the same type of connection from the receiver to the TV as from the DVD-Player to the receiver. In other words, you must use all S-Video or all RCA's between the DVD, receiver and TV - you can't mix them.

Check your manual, give it a try and let us know if this works.

7. David R Nguyen

Oops, I misread Jesse's message. I missed that he was connecting through a receiver. I think Rick_Brown may have the answer.

8. JesseO

JesseO Auditioning

Thanks Guys for the help,

I called pioneer and they confirmed that I need the source component to be s-video (S-video in)to the receiver before s-video goes out. I hope this is not the case with all receivers, In my case, I have to make both connections back to the TV. Someone making alot of money on cables.

Jesse

9. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

Yeah, Jesse, many receivers do allow for different cables in and out, and do the conversion internally. My Integra 6.2 does this.