Connecting DVD player to mono TV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by GaryGnu, Jan 7, 2003.

1. GaryGnu

GaryGnu Auditioning

I'm hooking up a DVD player to a mono TV (i.e. only yellow and white inputs). Is the correct connection to connect yellow to yellow and white to white and leave the red disconnected, or should I purchase some kind of of Y cable to combine the red and white from the DVD player?
    Thanks.

Gary

2. Barry_W

Barry_W Auditioning

Just match the colors, you'll be fine.

3. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

But if you only connect the white (left) one, wouldn't you completely lose all sound that is just in the right speaker - be it ambient sound, or in rare cases dialog?

Occasionally there is dialog in the front speakers and in this set-up I would think that you would lose any dialog that is coming from the right front speaker.

Gary: can you tell the DVD Player - in one of the set-up menus - that you only want mono. Then all 3 front channels would get directed to the white connector.

I don't know, just thinking out load . . .

Rob

4. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I have a DVD player hooked up to a mono television in a basement room so there's something to watch when I'm on the treadmill (which means I watch a trailer's worth of something before going, "Gee, this is a lot of work").

Anyways - does it work? Sure. Does it work well? No. I don't think I've found that dialogue is lost, but some information is probably lost and I find I have to turn the television all (and I do mean all) the way up to clearly hear everything.

5. Iver

Iver Second Unit

If you only connect one of the two analog outputs on the DVD player to the mono audio input jack on the TV, you will only get the audio from one channel.

For example, if you connect the left channel, you will not hear any of the audio from the right channel. Since the bulk of soundtrack information is distributed into both stereo (R/L) channels, this will work OKAY.

To get all the audio, you do need a Y-connector (one with two RCA plugs running into a single RCA jack). Connect the two RCA plugs on the connector to your DVD player R/L output jacks and then run a single cable from the single jack on the Y-connector to the mono-input jack on the TV.

6. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Gary,
    Another option would be an RF modulator. The video quality would be less but you will get both channels of audio combined.
    Bill
    P.S. Almost forgot about the "Great Space Coaster" until I read your post [​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i think this is rare, but i still see it on occasion.

some components will "recognize" when you're only running one of the audio outputs. it will consolidate both channels into a mono signal and run both signals to one of the audio outputs.

usually you can tell because one of the jacks will be labeled something like "left/mono" or something similar.

don't know if it applies to your current setup, but it's something to look for.