Connecting Dish reciever to Projector AND a TV.

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
Hi all. I have one s-video connection on the back of my Dish 625 receiver. But, I want to run s-video from the Dish to a projector, just for occasional tv viewing, and I want to also run s-video from the Dish up to my TV.

Which option should I go with below. Keep in mind that the only video connections from my Dish box are coax (currently connected to the tv), composite, and s-video.

Option 1 - use an s-video splitter out to the projector and to the tv (or would this degrade quality?)

Option 2 - Use s-video out to the projector from the dish, and leave the Dish connected to the tv via coax?

Option 3 - Use s-video out to the projector from the dish, and use composite to connect Dish to TV.

Option 4 - (other)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. You are splitting the signal and halving the power to each component. You may or may not be able to tell the difference.
2. Avoid connecting anything to an RF video output. That is the worst connection available.
3. This is the best of the 3 options you gave.
4. Use a distribution amp to correctly split the s-video signal.

Also, if you are running s-video to a projector, you aren't getting the best possible signal. I do the same as you are doing with my TV and projector. My satellite receiver is connected to the projector via an HDMI cable and to the TV via component video cables. Both connections deliver an HD signal.

-Robert

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
Thanks Robert.

Remember...I'm pretty new to this stuff.
What is considered an RF video output?

So, it sounds like option 3 would be the winner for me, since I will not regularly be watching television through my projector. I dont have anything HD yet. At least not until I can get HD channels without having to pay a monthly fee for it. I'm strange like that.....I'd pay $200 for something that gives me HD reception, but I wont pay a $5/month service charge for HD signals.

Although my projector does have component connections, the Dish receiver does not...only s-video, composite, and coax.

I stumbled accross a website called Monoprice.com, so at least I now have a source for cabling that looks to be VERY reasonable indeed.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RF is the coax connection where you have to tune your TV to channel 3 or 4.

Without HD, your projected image will not be very good. I'm using a Panasonic 900U HD projector and a 103" DIY screen. After seeing HD and DVD projected images, I can watch SD via satellite any more. There are just too many compression artifacts. I limit my SD watching to the 55" TV.

-Robert

1cbr_guy

Auditioning
Real Name
Todd Smith
Yeah, I'm working on a setup where I can move the projector a little bit closer to the screen for viewing SD images, on those rare occassions (get the image down to about 60"). My MAX image size will be about 80 inches for DVD and Xbox. I'll be relying somewhat on the processing power of the IN72 to help clean up an SD image. I once saw the Infocus 4805 with an SD digital satellite signal, and it actually looked quite a bit better than many rear-projection screen tv's I have seen. But the 4805 had that Faroudja processor, whereas the IN72 does not. I'll just have to wait and see if I get an acceptable image from it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa