What's new

Connecting Directv and LG Smart TV to Home Theater (1 Viewer)

falansmith

Auditioning
Real Name
Fredric Smith
I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I am a novice at home theater and don't want to screw up. I have a Yamaha RX-473 AV receiver with 4 HDMI connections. I know that Directv will use one of the HDMI slots as will the Sony Blu Ray Player. The HDMI "out" port will be connected to the TV ARC capable HDMI port.
My question is whether I also need to connect the TV to one of the HDMI "in" ports to watch Nexflix or Hulu from the TV (and to get the benefit of surround sound). All help appreciated.
Fred

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your devices both support ARC(if you want to turn on HDMI CEC and deal with all the headaches that involves)
I'm assuming this TV supports ARC as you don't mention a model number.
And no, there are no HDMI outs on this TV(read your manual).
You will use either ARC(and deal with that headache) or a tos-link from the TV to the Yammy(the way it was done before ARC).
Also, be prepared for NONE of the "Smart" sound to come out of the TV.

falansmith

Auditioning
Real Name
Fredric Smith
The TV is a LG 55LM7600 and supports ARC. What are the headaches with ARC?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is "one headache" that CEC creates...
Let's say you are watching a BD...
You are done watching a BD and simply want to turn off the BD player and start watching Cable/Sat...
Without CEC, you simply press "BD, then standby"...then press the button for Cable/Sat. You are done.
With CEC, you turn off the BD player...and since CEC is on, it assumes you are "done watching everything". You press "BD, then Standby" your AVR turns off and so does your LG. Then you turn your LG and AVR back on.
And, you can't "outsmart" it by switching to Cable/Sat first and then turning off the BD player. As soon as the BD player senses a "remote signal", the AVR will switch back to BD real quick...and turn off.
Another, even more annoying, is let's say all you want to do is take out a DVD/BD from the player and everything is off...
With CEC turned on, you walk up to the BD player to press "eject"(whether or not your BD player can "eject" in standby is irrelevant)...your BD, AVR and LG will all needlessly turn on...so you will have to turn them back off.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Why not just use the Hulu and Netflix apps on the Sony Blu-ray player? These are usually more robust than the ones on TVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks