connecting digital out on computer to reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Stein, Mar 8, 2002.

1. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

since i am home for midsemester break i am going to use the oppurtunity to goto stores to get the cables necessary to connect the digital out on my SB live! to my reciever. i just want to make sure i get the right ones...

so the output on the sound card is a 1/8" plug, and i will be using a coax input on my reciever. im assuming that since its just a digital stream i am going to want an 1/8" mono plug to single RCA jack converter cable and a video RCA cable to connect the rest of the way?

is my thinking flawed?

2. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well what i have for my HTPC -> receiver is a normal coax cable. what you might need is a 1/8" -> normal coax cable that your sound card manufacturer should have for free. i have an SBL Value+ card, and i just called them up and requested it. they sent it to me free of charge, and it had a 1/8" -> SPDIF and normal Coax female adapter. call your sound card mfgr and see what you'll need.

3. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

rocknroll

ill call creative up tomorrow

4. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I've read over at the HTPC section of AVS Forum that the coax digital from Create Labs cards is out of spec in regards to the voltage. I don't know the specific models in question so a search over there may be helpful. On my SBLive Value card I am using a Hoontech adapter with optical and coax inputs and outputs.
    -Robert

5. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

that hoontech adapter isnt very expensive is it? i may end up getting that...

and why am i not suprised there is a problem with a creative card *sighs*

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I have the SB DB III for $36 from Audience Digital Products. There are other cheaper interfaces also.
    -Robert

7. ArmenK

ArmenK Stunt Coordinator

I have a 1/8" miniplug to mono RCA adapter on my SB Live's digital out, going to my receiver. Works fine.

8. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

i may just use the spdif out on the livedrive and just live with the wire coming out the front. i dont want to chance ruining my reciever just for cosmetics

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i dont think something like that can ruin your receiver, but i may be mistaken! (i just don't see how it could happen...)

Robert_J: if you go to my website, you can see how i hooked it up-- the cable SBL sent me plugs into my sound card's 1/8" digital out. i then run a standard coax cable to the receiver. the receiver recognizes DD, DTS, and PCM digital signals (from CD's and mp3's). it will also do Pro-Logic 2 if i watch a TV broadcast encoded in DPL. hope this helps.

10. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

why does it look like the wire coming out of the digital out has two RCA connectors on it, a red and a black?

11. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    it does. one is a normal coax female (RCA) and the other is a red connector that looks like a female MIDI, but has a whole bunch more holes in it than a MIDI cable. (how's that for a good description? [​IMG]) i have no idea what it's used for, but using the normal RCA coax it works just fine.

12. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

well if thats the one that creative sent to you, then it must be the right one...

13. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

I believe that either the Live Drive or the digital interface card that creative sells for its Live series of cards has a optical digital output.

14. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

David, I believe you original idea was fine. I did the exact same thing and haven't had a problem.

15. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

right now i'm using the digital out spdig jack on the live drive, its not the prettiest way of doing it, but my computer is out of the way so its not a problem...

eventually ill buy the adapter and do it right