Connecting Digital cable box

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin_a, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Kevin_a

Kevin_a Auditioning

Hi, I just wanted to say how I really enjoying reading these forums. Now on to my first post.

I recently purchase a yahama rx-v740 receiver and paradigm titan fronts, adp 70 rear surrounds, ps1000 sub and a cc170 center channel. I have hooked up the system to the dvd succesfully and it sounds great. I also would like to hook it up the cable box but I am unsure how to get dolby digital surround sound to the reciever from the cable box. The cable box has several different outputs, coaxial cable out, rca plugs for video left and right (yellow, white and red) and S-video out and a digital audio out. It does not have a fiber optic out. The receiver has inputs for the cablebox/sat on it but only has a fiber optic input listed. Here is the link to the back of my receiver. yamaha.com/yec/products/backpanels/RXV740/bRXV740.htm Back panel of RX-V740 (edit forum would not let me post url so put the www in front of yahama) it has one digital coaxial input but that is labeled for the cd player which I dont have one currently. It also has lots of fiber optic inputs of which only one is currently used for the dvd player I can use the left and right channel plugs, but I want surround sound and digital quality from the cable box. I currently have wide open west cable and the box is made by scientfic atlantic. I have a digital co-axial cable ready to use if needed.

Thanks for the help.
    Kevin

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

I would suggest you connect your Digital Audio Cable from your cablebox to the Digital Audio Cable input (CD) on your receiver..and if possible relabel the CD title to Cable on your receiver.

3. scott>sau

scott>sau Stunt Coordinator

Motorola, Jerod, etc. DCT (Digital Consumer Terminals) a.k.a digital cable boxes do not come with digital audio outputs. Nor do they come standard with S-Video outputs. Dish has an edge on this over CATV. When I was with Adelphia Cable I saw this only twice when clients demanded digital audio. You contact your cable provider and pay a fee, they give you a loaner box and yours goes to Texas to have digital audio (coaxial) and S-Video connectors soldered in the PCB. There is no other way to get discrete audio (digital audio) out of that box. Trust me.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Kevin_a

Kevin_a Auditioning

Thanks for the help

I was able to change the digital audio coaxial input on the reciever to correspond with the digital cable inputs for video. I did however have to leave the left and right channels analog connected to recieve channels under 100. I am still unsure if I am recieving a digital signal to the reciever because on the display for the receiver, it only shows the the left and right speakers instead of the 5.1 it displays for a dvd.

Kevin

6. Michael Reuben

7. scott>sau

I have never seen a cable box come stock with digital audio out. It looks like in Kevins case his was an exception. DirectTv and Dish Network boxes all come with digital audio connections.
    My post and information is totally relavant and helpful to posters that have cable boxes that do not come with digital conections, however.

Scott Saunders

8. Michael Reuben

9. scott>sau

"Originally posted by Mr. Reuban: Scientific Atlanta models routinely come with coax digital output. I've had both HD and non-HD models."

I stand publically corrected. Thanks Michael, knowledge is power.

"orginally posted by Mr. Reuban: So save it until someone with such a problem actually posts".

Wise advice, but I was just trying to help Kevin not make him feel he was unknowledgable.

Scott

10. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

11. scott>sau

[​IMG]

12. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

The STB you get really depends on your cable provider.

Here in Western Canada, Shaw Cable gives you a Motorola DCT2000HT which comes stock with SP/DIF Digital Out and S-Video as well the standard Analog connectors. Unfortunately only the 'Digital' channels have DD2.0 and as stated, depending on your programming you may get DD5.1 on some other Premium channels.