What's new

Connecting Denon 1803 to Sound Blaster LIve! Value CT4830 (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have a Sound Blaster Live! CT4830 sound card in my computer and I'm trying to hook it up to my Denon 1803 receiver using the digital out (1/8" mini jack) on the sound card. I've tried using a 1/8" to stereo RCA combined w/ a Stereo to Mono RCA adapter w/ no luck. When trying to play a DVD w/ WinDVD (SPDIF out enabled in WinDVD), i'll either get some loud pops or nothing at all from the receiver.

Do i have it hooked up wrong? if so, how do i hook it up?

Do i have a setting wrong? If so, what should i change.

Thanks

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Nevermind guys, i figured it out. All i had to do was get rid of the RCA Stereo to Mono adapter and everything works great.

Thanks anyway.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
All i had to do was get rid of the RCA Stereo to Mono adapter
Right. I guess I should have been more specific when I suggested using the 1/8 to RCA adapter. The digital out jack is a "stereo" one with one channel being the s/pdif output for the front pair of speakers (this one is the one used for "raw" s/pdif data, like dolby digital or dts from a DVD player application) and the other channel being for the rear pair (it's a four channel soundcard). When you use the 1/8 to RCA adapter, you get two s/pdif outputs, but you will only ever really need to use the one for the front pair.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the help. I tried about everything else before i tried ditching the adapter. I downloaded new drivers (which actually disable the s/pdif all together), experimented w/ about every combination of different settings, and rebooted about 10 times.

I guess the simplest solution is usually the correct one.

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks