1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

connecting cordless speaker transmitter to amp for surround sound

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Ronnie1a, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Ronnie1a

Ronnie1a Auditioning

Ronald March
    My amp. a 10 year old Pioneer has outputs for connecting speakers for surround sound. I'm looking at Brookstones cordless speakers. The manual says to use the RCA pin plug output on the amp to connect to the input on their cordless transmitter. In the absence of that I can use a 3.5 mm connector. My amp has neither, just traditional speaker wire connections to r and l surround speakers.

The Brookstone manual says not to hook the "dual RCA cable to speaker terminals on your audio source or you may cause damage." Are they talking about the RCA plug itself? Why can't I use a connection with bare wire on one end -my amp-and the RCA plug to the imput on the Brookstone transmitter for the r & l speaker connections?

2. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    RCA cables carry "low level" or unamplified audio signals. The speaker wire terminals carry "high level" or amplified audio signals. The cordless transmitter is intended to receive low level signals and does the amplification internally before sending the signal to the speakers.

Passing a high level signal to the cordless transmitter would almost certainly damage the speakers, likely the transmitter too, and perhaps even the receiver.