What's new

connecting analog speakers to computer? (1 Viewer)

Greg Szczyrbak

Auditioning
I have an extra two pair of bookshelf speakers hanging around. How can I hook these up to my computer? What sound card can I get that will allow me to do this? DO I need a special cable to make the connections?

Thanks,
Greg

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
All you need is some power for them and a 1/8" miniplug to RCA cable (the kind you get when you buy a portable CD player).

I have a setup like this, I picked up a "vintage" receiver and plugged my computer into its TAPE-IN. Any sound card will work, just plug the small end of the cable into the LINE OUT of the card & the other end to your amp/receiver.

This is a great way to enjoy MP3's & such, far better than most of the little computer speakers many people have.

*edit: I just realized you had 2 pair. I would hook one pair up to the A speaker connectors on the amp/receiver, and one pair to the B speaker connectors. Most amps will allow you to play both sets at the same time.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
This is the really geeky way of doing it... ;)

I had a pair of really crappy amplified computer speakers and a pair of bookshelf speakers sitting around. I opened up the computer speakers, and found the wire inside of them that went to the speaker its self. I snipped that wire, took of a bit of the covering of the wire that was left, took some of the covering off the wire for the bookshelf speaker, twisted the two together, and put some electrical tape on it. It actually worked quite well. I never had any problems when I used them. You need to make sure that the bookshelf speakers will work with the amp in the speakers, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks