Connecting a subwoofer Q.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rick_O, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Rick_O

Rick_O Auditioning

Hi,

First i would like to thank for such an informative Board.

I'm putting togheter my first HT, kinda bits and pieces to start with. Just bought the main piece Sherwood RD-6108 and i'm getting used to the funtions on it.
    My Sub is an old Yamaha YST-SW40 and while reading the manual on install they have acouple ways of hooking up to the rcvr: 1st: connecting the front speakers to go through the SUB from which is speaker wire connected to the rcvr.
    -:2nd: Use the sub out-pre amp to the SUB,,the manual for the SUB explains that to connect that way the rcvr must possess at least to sets of pre out terminals(the 6108 only has 1 sub-preamp out).They also say that if using a Yamaha DSP amp then it can be connected through the low pass(sub out etc..) using one cable(the Sub has two inputs poles-L-R). What your takes on this?

Thanks alot!

2. Rick_O

Rick_O Auditioning

Anyone?[​IMG]

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I believe the sub manuel is exposing its age here. This remark predates the proliferation of HT receivers where all of the content appropriate for the sub is summed onto a single RCA jack. So with a single RCA cable, go from the reciever sub out or LFE out or whatever the sherwood labels it as, and feed that to either the R or L RCA input of the Yamaha- it makes no difference.

4. Parker Bailey

Parker Bailey Auditioning

So you don't have to hook them up through your mains?:

5. Rick_O

Rick_O Auditioning

Thanks Brian. BTW, thats the way i have it hooked. I was just curious if it would make any diference for the better in connecting through the mains..

6. John S

John S Producer

Connect from the pre-out, use an RCA "Y" Adapter...
    That will be the best way.

To benefit your amps and speakers more set your cross over higher in frequncy.

To benefit your sub more set your cross over lower.

80hz is the "THX Standard" but different speakers / subs / rooms make this sort of arbitrary and it shoudl really be set where you think it sounds best for you environment / equipment.

7. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Set all the speakers small, run the speaker level wires to each speaker, and run a line level out (or RCA) from the AVR to the sub. This way your AVR will have more headroom for the speakers (they won't have to do low bass) and your sub will be fed the appropriate signal (without having to filter out from a full bandwidth signal).

BTW, great AVR, I use this for my bedroom system though the remote had to go (bought an universal one).

8. Rick_O

Rick_O Auditioning

"To benefit your amps and speakers more set your cross over higher in frequncy.

To benefit your sub more set your cross over lower"

How do we go about adjusting these settings? Is that done through the AVR?

Thanks for all your inputs.[​IMG]

9. Parker Bailey

Parker Bailey Auditioning

How do you all prefer to hoom up an SVS 20-39PC-Plus for best movie performance? Hooked up w/speakers or just LFE? You tell me.

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

All good and better subs should be hooked up to the sub/lfe out. The dynamics of bass is such that most AVRs simply lack the ability to supply wattage for both bass and the remaining signal. Doen't forget, when a sub does the bass management from speaker level connections, the AVR must still supply a full bass signal wasting the power on a resister (which high pass to the sats).