Connecting a PSX2 to a PC

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam Sanchez, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

I was looking for a few ways to be able to hook my Playstation 2 up to my computer to play through it's monitor and sound system and I was looking for some ideas please.

I figured getting a TV Tuner/Capture card is the best way to go, and I have been wanting one anyway to turn my Computer into a little TiVo like thing. (which I have never used any of those set top Digital recorders by the way) A Tuner card would allow me to feed my PS2 into the computer and view it on the monitor right? Likewise, I would plug the sound into my soundcard probably with a Y splitter that makes 2 RCA plugs into one stereo mini?

Is there another cost effective cheaper way to get my playstation to work on my moniter?

Also why I am already here, another question about the PSX2. Could I hook it up to my sound card and have it be in Dolby digital somehow? My sound card is the Audigy 2 ZS and it has a digital input but I don't know how to adapt the playstation to plug into it, or if it would even work. I thought I would ask though.

Adam

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Capture card would be the best way. It looks better than the VGA converter I had. There's the Hauppauge PVR-150 or 250 for around $150 or less. And the Flyvideo 2000 for around $40 (though the 3000 has stereo for analog cable). I use the 2k for S-video input and it loks great.

Do a search on Newegg for Flyvideo, they have a refurb 3k for cheap.

3. Adam Sanchez

Well I got a video capture/TV card today, the Leadtek WinFast TV 2000 XP Expert and I got it all hooked up but I can't get it to work quite right!

I have my PS2 plugged in via the stereo A/V coverter cable it came with and I can get the video on my screen but no sound. All I get is static, like you hear when you don't have cable hooked up. (which I don't) I only have the PS plugged in right now. Im getting the video feed but the audio from some other source. I have the capture card hooked up to my sound card with the cable inside.

What am I doing wrong? I'm almost ready to return the thing.

Alternately, what's a different capture/input video feed program I could use?

Thanks

4. Adam Sanchez

I got it to work but decided Im going to take the card back. It just wasn't what I thought it would be. I wanted to be able to play my playstation on my computer and not tie up the living room TV but it's just not the same. More over, the TV Tuner card wont upmix the game to ProLogic. I guess it's only stereo capable. I wonder if i was to plug the audio of my Playstation into my Audigy 2 Sound card, would it play it back in Prologic?

Is there a way to connect the Playstation's optical to the S/PDIF on the Audigy 2?

Anyway someday I want a TV card that:

1. Plays back in surround sound.
    2. Let's me record FM Radio directly to a Mp3 file. There is a radio show I listen to in the morning that is 4 hours long and I could tape it to an Mp3 daily, burn it to an Mp3 CD and listen to it at work then delete it. The Tuner card I bought tonight did capture FM and it sounded good, but the software did not have a mp3 recording option.