Connecting a Polk PSW-250 sub to an Onkyo TX-DS595

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy_Bone, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Jeremy_Bone

Jeremy_Bone Auditioning

Ok, this is the first time I've ever set up a home theater system, and It looks as if I didn't research this quite enough. I just got all the components in (Polk R40s, R10s, CS245i, PSW250, Onkyo 595 receiver). Am I going to have to purchase an amp to get the sub to work with this receiver. Please say no.

2. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

No, the Polk subwoofer has a built-in amplifier with all the adjustments you'll need to set it up with the Onkyo. Very few manufacturers sell unpowered subwoofers. And even fewer sell them at brick & mortar stores.

3. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

4. Jeremy_Bone

Jeremy_Bone Auditioning

Thanks that's a relief, I'm still not exactly sure how I need to set it up though. The only sub output i see on the Onkyo 595 is a pre out of which I don't see a matching input on the subwoofer. All the sub has are a l/r line in and speaker level inputs/outputs. Would it work if I ran the front left/right speaker wire from the receiver to the subwoofer's speaker level ins, and then from the sub's outs to the front l/r speakers? Or is that totally wrong? Thanks for the help!

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Just run the single cable from the 595 sub-out to either the red or white RCA in on the sub. If you got a y-adapter so that both the red and white are used, you'd get a boost in decibels (SPL, volume), but you can get the same results with a single connection and turning the sub volume up.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    Chuckster's HT Site
    Equipment List
    The Dorm Room Theater