Connecting a PC to display via DVI or PC (vga) input

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PatrickKing, Jan 21, 2003.

1. PatrickKing

PatrickKing Auditioning

I want to connect my PC to a TV (hasn't been bought yet). I have a DVI out on my video card, but DVI cables of any length (I need 30ft.) over 20' cost upwards of $200.00. If I instead, use the VGA input of the display, would the display be as good as with DVI? I would use an A/B switch to select between pc or tv monitors.

2. Kyle J

Kyle J Auditioning

I have also pondered this, and I don't know. I checked the adaptors for the DVI, and it is missing a lot of pins. I don't know if it would work for the TV or not.

3. JuliusW

JuliusW Auditioning

Hello,

I have been using PC video output to watch DVD for some time now. I can definately say that the use of DVI is better than the (HD-15).

Basically, it comes down to the fact that the DVI is a digital output and your standard HD-15 is not. This means that there will be some D/A or A/D conversion and thus the introduction of noise and or delay in the signal.

If your display or monitor has a DVI input, than I would highly recommend using it. One caveat on using my knowledge; I have not needed to run my cables longer than 8 to 10 feet, so I do not honestly know how much signal degradation you would get in either case. My guess, would be that the signal-to-noise in video cables would drop considerably as the length increased. And thus the outrageous prices for longer cables, assuming their goal is to still put out a reasonable quality signal at those longer lengths.

I have seen a substantial loss of fidelity in picture quality at 15 to 20 feet of regular RGB cable with magnetic shielding while working on a project with a friend. I imagine that the same would generally be true for regular DVI cable.

I hope this info can be of some help to you.

-Julius

4. PatrickKing

PatrickKing Auditioning

Julius, thanks for the info. I discovered today that my Radeon video card also has s-video out. NEW Question: could I run (without fear of signal degradation), 3o feet of s-video cable? I have to figure all this out now as I am in the process of building my HT and am just about ready to insulate and drywall!

5. John Parris

John Parris Stunt Coordinator

A word of advice-- 10 meters is approaching the maximum limits for DVI signal transmission... so be careful there. If cost is really an issue, check out www.pacificcable.com -- got a 5M DVI-D single link cable from them without any problems (for my projector).

Make sure whatever cable you get is compatible with your TV (ie there are multiple DVI connector standards: DVI-I, DVI-A, and DVI-D... there are also single link and dual link DVI cables-- you'll probably need a single link cable, but you never know).

Do NOT (repeat: DO NOT) use the S-video output from your video card. You can, and it will work, but it will be absolutely terrible. The composite output on a $75 standalone player would probably be better. Believe me... I've tried the S-video outputs on the Radeon cards...they're dismal. Plus you can only get an interlaced low resolution signal out of them, so what's the point, right?

6. PatrickKing

PatrickKing Auditioning

John - thanks for the advice. I had talked myself into doing just that - using the S-video out. I guess my best option will be to locate the PC nearer to my TV and run a long VGA cable to the PC monitor in the back of my HT. My intention all along was to have the PC/hutch in the back of the HT. If no one was using the TV, I could use it to surf the net using RF keyboard and mouse.

7. JuliusW

JuliusW Auditioning

One more thing to think about before you seal up those walls. If you can, why not install a pipe/conduit so you can pull a wire/cable from point A to point B. Then you can try a few different cables and see what the results are. When you are satisfied, keep the one you like.

Alternatively, you can just go to a local hifi store, and ask if you can try a number of different long length cables, whether it be S-Video, VGA, or DVI again keeping the one that works best for your setup, and returning the others. Any reputable store would be accomodating.

-Julius