Connecting a front projector to multiple sources?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I have been looking into getting a projector to replace my television and I have a few questions. First is whether a projector, such as the InFocus 4805, could be used as your primary display for watching television, DVD's, and playing video games. Also, the kids still have quite a few VCR tapes.

Second is how would you connect all this to the projector?
    My VCR has a S-Video output, and I would probably get a new DVD player to go with the projector. For television, I would go with a High Def Directv box or a HD box from the cable company. Would you have to run multiple connections to the projector or do you usually use a switchbox and just send one type of connection to the projector? My current preamp does not have any high def switching capabilities.

Finally, If the projector is mounted off the ceiling, how hard is it to run the video cables to it from the components?

Since the cost of the projector mentioned above and a screen would be less than going with a large LCD or DLP rear projector, and I would end up with a larger screen, I would like to go this route. But, making the connections has got me worried.

2. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

You have a couple options. You can run everything through your receiver and use your receiver as a switcher. Or you can get a stand alone switcher and use that. I personally use a stand alone switcher, a NEC 6010

3. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

Yes, a projector like the 4805 certainly can be used as your primary display device. In your situation, it sounds like it would be best to run multiple cables to the projector. You would need an S-video cable to connect your VCR. For the cable box and dvd player, you would most likely want to go with component video or DVI. Although you could use s-video for these sources as well to limit the number of cables you have to run, you would not do a projector like the 4805 justice doing so when you could be using a superior connection.

4. SimiA

SimiA Second Unit

Ditto!
    Vb

5. Adam

Adam Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

That NEC switcher looks like it cost a lot. How much does something like that run and what are the cost of the cards?

Thanks,
    Adam.

6. Chris Moe

Chris Moe Screenwriter

I got my switcher when I bought my CRT projector. I picked up another NEC switcher on ebay for more input cards for ~$120. They run between $100-$200 on ebay, sometimes more sometimes less, kinda depends what cards they have and how many people are bidding. I have not found a place where you can buy just the cards. There are other manufacturers that make similar products though.

7. Ray Tsui

Ray Tsui Stunt Coordinator

I went with a new receiver when I got a new projector. Gave me a chance to get caught up in the surround standards game.

The Yamaha HT-R5790, RX-V1400 or RXV2400 has a nifty video upconversion feature which converts all video upwards all the way to component video.

It works this way:
    - connect your projector up to the receiver with component video cable.
    - connect all your devices to the receiver using their highest quality output type (e.g. VCR - composite, SVHS - s-video, HDTV cable box - component, DVD - component)

The receiver will convert all the signals up to component video and you can use the receiver to switch all of them. It has the bandwidth to handle HDTV.