What's new

connecting 5 output wires to 2 speakers? (1 Viewer)

wonderd

Auditioning
Real Name
dan
Connecting 4 output wires into 2 speakers*
i have a 600watt onkyo HT system from radio shack 5 100watt speakers, 1 100watt subwoofer. My question is can i buy 2 new front speakers that can handle 200 watts and disconnect my 100watt rear wires and combin them with my 100 watt front wires so i can have 2 200watt front speakers and a sub? I planed on just disconecting the center. Would this still sound good? Or would i run into problems?

sorry for the compliated explaination i just dont know how else to explain it

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Dan,

It's your world and you can do whatever you want! But... When you do, you will fry the Onkyo.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
No, you may not connect more than one set of amplifier terminals to one set of speaker terminals.

There may be enough blending of the sound tracks as mastered so connecting just left front and right front outputs to the respective two speakers gives correct stereo (2.0) sound, or with a subwoofer, 2.1 sound,

There may be knob settings on the amp to achieve the preceding if the sound tracks on a particular movie were not mastered that way.

With a subwoofer you probably won't run into any shortcomings by leaving the rear channels unconnected and not putting their two cents worth, er, 100 watts worth into the speakers to strenghthen the midrange and highs simultaneously, since most of the power is in the bass.
Video hints: http://www.cockam.com/video.htm

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
There is a way you might be able to do something like what your asking using the 5 Channel Stereo setting on your receiver but it would be terribly ir-responsible of me to try and explain how to do it.

If louder is what your looking for then go buy a pair of speakers with an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of say, 94 or higher (I've seen well over 100) like many models of Klipsch, Cerwin-Vega, BIC, etc. Speakers with a higher SPL don't require as much power input so they sound louder with the same amount of power. They will over-power your Onkyo center and surrounds so you should just listen in stereo mode only unless you also get the matching center/surround speakers.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Here is another fact measurement of sound loudness using watts is logrithmic. Increasing the power of your amp from 100 watts to 200 watts will not double the sound output of your the same set of speakers. It will give you only a modest increase in sound. As I remember and others correct me if I am wrong. To double the sound of a 10 watt amp would require 100 watt amp.

GerryDagney

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry
I've got Logitech X-530 speakers. These speakers are designed to be used as a set and connected to computers. They are 5.1- (6 channels). Each speaker connects to the sub via RCA and the sub is connected to AC mains. The input for these speakers comes from 3x 3.5mm TRC audio jacks which are connected to the sub.I am thinking of buying an AV receiver/ amplifier which outputs to speakers via 6 normal + - speaker wire ports Output from receiver= normal speaker wire terminals for 6 channels.Input to speakers+sub= 3 3.5mm TRC connectors.My question is, how do I wire this?

GerryDagney

Auditioning
Real Name
Gerry
I've got Logitech X-530 speakers. These speakers are designed to be used as a set and connected to computers. They are 5.1- (6 channels). Each speaker connects to the sub via RCA and the sub is connected to AC mains. The input for these speakers/sub comes from 3x 3.5mm TRC audio jacks which are connected to the sub.I am thinking of buying an AV receiver/ amplifier which outputs to speakers via 6 normal + - speaker wire ports
Output from receiver= normal speaker wire terminals for 6 channels.Input to speakers+sub= 3 3.5mm TRC connectorsMy question is, how do I wire this?
home theater

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
There are no decent receivers that output to speakers via RCA jacks. The receivers you've seen with 6 or 8 analog RCA jacks use those as inputs from DVD players and other sources that have discrete 5.1 and 7.1 analog as one of their multichannel sound output options.

Computer speakers are computer speakers, designed as sets to work together and with the specific amps built into their subwoofers or main speakers. You can't simply take them and graft them onto a "real" audio systerm. Leave the Logitechs connected to your computer and save up enough to buy some decent speakers to go with that AV receiver. Recycling is a good thing, but it isn't always practical.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks