connecting 4ohm speakers to receiver?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by VictorD, Jul 3, 2003.

1. VictorD

VictorD Auditioning

I was wondering if it was possible to hookup 4ohm speakers (computer speakers) to a receiver. If someone could explain any problems I would run (ie can the receiver handle it?) into I'd appreciate it.

Some background information, I have the Klipsch 4.1 for my computer but the sub died recently and I don't want to spend the money to send it in for repairs. So what I was thinking was maybe to keep the satellites and hook them up to a receiver. When I have enough money, I'm thinking about slowly upgrading each of the components.

2. henning hoffmann

henning hoffmann Stunt Coordinator

It depends on the receiver. My front 3 speakers are Linn 5140/5120 speakers, they're 4 ohm, and they work just fine with my HK AVR500. (Yes, I know - it's like putting a Porsche engine in a station wagon. I'm getting there!) I did call my dealer first to make sure it was okay.

3. Dimme

Dimme Extra

VictorD, what receiver are you planning on hooking those speakers up to?

4. Ryan*Pr*

Ryan*Pr* Agent

There are some receivers out there to run 4 ohm, but I would personally put them in 8 ohm. Run 2 in series to accomplish this.

5. VictorD

VictorD Auditioning

Dimme, I don't know what receiver yet, are there any out there that you recommend?

Ryan*Pr*, how would you put them into 8ohm?

6. Dimme

Dimme Extra

Well, personally I would go for the Yamaha 640 or the 740
    or a Denon receiver. A Marantz would be very good, too.
    Practically any receiver you chose will support 4ohm speakers.
    If you have the money, go for Harman Kardon or Onkyo. Denon and Marantz aren't that cheap either.

I'm not going to recommend Sony's line of receivers because they have different model names in europe and I have little experience with them.

Oh and running two 4 ohm speakers in series to get 8ohms will put a load on the receivers power supply so unless the receiver has a juicy psu or the speakers are small and not that demanding I wouldn't go that route.

7. VictorD

VictorD Auditioning

What low profile receivers are out there? I need something that doesn't take up a lot of room as this will go on my desk.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Panasonic and H/K both are making full digital amp receivers.
    The Panasonic is (very thin in height, around 2.5" I believe).. The H/K is slightly taller by an inch+ or so.

Sorry I do not remember the model numbers at this time. Maybe someone else can provide them for you.

Regards
    Geoff

9. Dimme

Dimme Extra

Try HarmanKardon 670 (Very powerful two channel amp)

Pioneer VSX-C100 (multichannel)

I think Sony has something to offer in the low profile range, too.