What's new

Connecting 2 pairs of speakers to my stereo reciever (1 Viewer)

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
Is it possible have 4 speakers playing at the same time with my stereo reciever? MY reciever only supports playing a or b speaker pair, not both. I heard that you can twist the speaker wires and put them on the same channel on the reciever. Is this possible? Dangereous for the Speakers or Reciever? does it mess up sound?

I have a technic sa ex140 (can't post link but manual on amazon). Its 100 watts per channel too. I may just upgrade to surround reciever through time, but can I do this now?

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
Danger, Will Rogers, Danger!

All kidding aside, your receiver is sending you a clear message that it does NOT want to see the reduced impedance of four speakers at once. Your receiver is probably rated for no less than an 8 ohm load per channel, and by hooking up two speakers per channel you'll be sending it 4 ohms at most. (yeah, I know there are probably 16 ohm hifi speakers, but I've yet to ever see one).

In any case, don't do it - you'll probably trash your amp and the increased SPL levels won't be all that significant.

MichaelBAr

Stunt Coordinator
ok I my got my reciever from my parents a few years back (I'm 15 now). I found this other old reciever in the garage that supports both a and b. HOw would I know it won't mess that one up? I don't know what ohm and all that stuff is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks