What's new

Connecting 1 rear speaker to 2 channels? (1 Viewer)

grantG

Agent
I have a 7.1 receiver but I am only using 1 back surround speaker. I am utilizing a 4 ohm dipole speaker in the rear. Since this is a 4 ohm speaker and I have an open channel, is there a way to hook up that back surround to the two channels for a little more juice to drive the back speaker? Thanks.

Dean_S

Second Unit
There is no good way to do this. I doubt that the internal amps in this recvr can be bridged. If you have preamp ins and outs on the recvr you could use a y-adaptor to on the output to a single input channel (the channel you have the speaker attached to) to sum the two channels information together so you get all the information out of the single speaker but it won't increase the power going to the speaker and you will need to set the level of this speaker somewhat higher (3db) then the fronts are set at to achieve somewhat balanced sound. Unless you listen to alot of non-discrete surround sources (DPL and highly unlikely given the current crop of DVDs out there) then you are missing out on alot of the HT experience by using only one rear speaker.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are missing out on NOTHING by using just one surround back speaker. Matrix or discrete, both surround back speakers are playing the same thing.

Check your speaker configuration, you may be able to set it for a single speaker and just use the one output.

grantG

Agent
I agree John, I didnt think I was missing out on anything at all. I am not sure if 6.1/7.1 is that much better than 5.1 anyway.

I was just wondering if there was a way to bridge them. During the setup it does ask if you are using 1 or 2 back channel speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks