What's new

Connect video direct or through AV Receiver (1 Viewer)

SteveCoug

Agent
Another "newbie" question ...

I have just purchased an AV receiver with lots of video input and output connections.

I assume that I am better off connecting my video source (i.e. DVD player, Sat. Dish receiver) directly to my video projector, rather than running through the receiver and then out to the video projector.

Am I correct?

Or is there no signal loss or degredation by running the video through the receiver before it gets to the video projector?

StephenHa

Second Unit
there is slight picture loss the benifit of using the receiver is you only have to switch one component to get a picture

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You are correct - a direct connection is better.

But... when you have a HD Cable box, a Progressive Scan DVD player and add a XBox with 480p output - you run out of inputs straight to the projector.

You then have 2 choices:

- Run video through your reciever
- Buy an external switch box

Look at the specs on the reciever. You are looking for "Bandwidth" on the component video inputs. If it says something like 90-100 Mhz - it is compatible with HD video.

If it says something like 25-30 Mhz - the most it can handle is 480p.

Just be aware that in broadcast studios, production houses, switchers are used all the time for video. Yes, these are 'professional' grade equipment, but that just means they were designed for HD video frequencies.

John S

Senior HTF Member
And if it is 50mhz, I guess it is a try and see sort of thing...

I find the component video switching on my Denon 4802 to cause no detectable effects and it is rated at 50mhz. I am forced to use it, so good thing it worked well for me.

I know others that switch through their 50mhz rated AVRs with similar results to mine as well.

Brendan D

Auditioning
On my VSX-D850s...the only specs I see for Video output are listed as:

"Frequency response
VCR/DVR, DVD/LD, TV/SAT, Video- Monitor
.................................5Hz to 7Hz"

Can't find any specs regarding the component bandwith...any suggestions?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
is he even using high-bandwidth connections?

i say go through the receiver...make your life easier. well, i actually say do a test yourself and see if you notice a diff. even one better ... have someone else do the wiring so you don't know which you're looking at.

check out the primer as well..i've got a long-winded article on this. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks