What's new

Connect TV to receiver without VCR (1 Viewer)

Scott_Mill

Grip
I just got an onkyo sr500 receiver and would like to watch tv (local channels, no cable or sat) in surround sound. I dont have a vcr, how can I do this. When I hook it up to vidio 1 or 2 i get nothing? Do i need to have a vcr for this to work? Thanks.

Geno

Supporting Actor
First off how are you connecting your tv to the onkyo?
what kind of tv, I havent seen many tv's with audio outs. you might be connecting the "in" on the tv to the "in" on the onkyo, which will do nothing as you say. if you have just the tv, then a vcr would act as your tuner sending both audio and video signals out. you could then take the audio out and plug into the onkyo. as far as listening in surround sound, it all depends on what type of formats the onkyo has available.
I hope this helps.

Scott_Mill

Grip
The tv is a jvc and it does have rca audio in and out but no matter what i tried i couldnt get sound. I went ahead and picked up a hifi vcr at frys just now for 44.00 so that should work. Thanks for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks