What's new

Connect sources via computer or direct to display? (1 Viewer)

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

I was thinking that with Apple's next revision to their iMac line, I'd pickup a 17" iMac to use as a media center - for playing music, viewing DVDs, viewing videos, etc. It would be connected to my front projector for displaying video, of course. (I prefer the iMac over the Mac mini, because the iMac has better graphics, 3.5" hard drives, and a built in screen, so I can use it to play music without having to turn on the front projector.)

My question is this: for other sources (outside the PC), would I be better off directly connecting them to the projector, or routing them through the iMac (by getting video input, such as by firewire)?

Routing it through the iMac has the neat benefit being able to have multiple windows with different sources at the same time (if I wanted to), making the projector essentially a "dumb" display device.

On the other hand, are the deinterlacers and scalers generally better in computers (software) or on board in projectors?

Thanks.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Hmm, well, I would say that unless your looking to be able to record the other sources onto your computer I would stick with connecting them to either your receiver or projector. It'd just be easier to not have to turn your computer on when wanting to watch a particular source.

As far as picture quality though, a computer does have the potential to be better than anything else. . . but I'm not as familiar with the software available for a mac to make happen :frowning:.

Rommel_L

Second Unit
Connect the other sources to the a/v receiver and then connect it to the projector...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks