Connect Dolby Digital AND 5.1 Channel Output?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul D Cook, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Paul D Cook

Paul D Cook Auditioning

New Sony DVP-NS755V DVD player and Sony STR-DA1ES A/V Receiver. The receiver has optical inputs for digital audio and also multi-channel inputs for Multi Channel (5.1) surround sound. The DVD player has the digital optical output and the 5.1 Channel outputs. Should both of these outputs be connected for best DVD audio playback? Sorry for such a basic hardware hookup question but I don't have a good grasp of the different audio formats yet. Happy holidays all.
    PDC

2. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

No, just connect the optical digital audio connection. The 5.1 is for older "digital ready" receivers. There's no need for you to hook those up.

3. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Actually, the multi-channel 5.1 input must be used for DVD-Audio or SACD playback. These currently have a copy-protection provision in that the player must decode the signal. The optical input can be used for DVD-Video and for regular CD.

4. Paul D Cook

Paul D Cook Auditioning

O.K. It's easy enough to hook up both. But I need a point of clarification here. I was told on the Tweaking, Connection and Accessories Forum that the Optical input from the DVD into the receiver was for audio only. I know in a computer network, there is more than enough bandwidth for both in a fiber optic connection, but in this receiver I'm not sure. Any idea where I can clarify this? Should I just call Sony? Have a great day everyone. Four more shopping days until Christmas.
    PDC

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

On consumer stereo gear, the fiber-optic cable carries audio only...

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

7. Paul D Cook

Paul D Cook Auditioning

That's what it is all about! Getting the best from what you have. Thanks for the heads up on the music forum. I must admit to information overload right now though. Getting it all hooked up properly first to be able to use the new features and then start the tweaking is the plan. Thanks Justin.
    PDC

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Sorry, I wasn't aware that that model of DVD player also had SACD. In that case, then yes you would connect the 5.1 connections as well.