What's new

Connect Denon AVR-3200 with LG TV 3D (LW6500) and blu-ray player (LG) (1 Viewer)

DMML

Auditioning
Real Name
Diego Monteiro
I have a Denon avr-3200 that's about 10 years old. It was connected to and old tv and DVD player and I never really handled it. Now we bought a LG Tv with 3D (LW6500) and a blu-ray player also 3D. The problem is I cannot connect the TV sound to the receiver. Here's what I've already tried:
1. Connect the tv to the Receiver using a optical digital cable. I've configured the Digital Input Set (Optical) to TV/DBS.
2. Used the AV entrance of the tv (audio+video) to connect it to the TV/DBS entrance of the Receiver. When I set the press the TV/DTS button on the tv and set it to digital, the error/overload signe appears.
I'm not sure if it's possível to connect this devices and would really appreciate any help.
Just another thing. Now that no device is currently connected to the receiver, I can only play the tuner (FM) and the sound only come from the front speakers. The sorrounds are mute. Is that normal?
Thanks again.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Welcome to the forum, Diego!

The simplest way to connect your Blu-Ray player is to use an HDMI cable from the HDMI out of the player to an HDMI input on the TV. This will be used for video only.

For audio, run a digital optical cable from the Blu-Ray player to an available input on the receiver. This will carry lossy DD/DTS 5.1 audio from the Blu-ray to the receiver.

Many TVs will not output audio from the digital optical connection for externally connected devices - and those TVs that do, will almost always downconvert to stereo before doing so. In short - leave the TV out of the audio signal path.

To watch Blu-Ray and listen to sound from the receiver/speakers - set the TV input to match the HDMI input you used, mute the TV speakers and select the input on the receiver that matches the digital optical input you used.

For FM radio listening, as well as CD music listening, the native sound format is 2.0 stereo, so it's perfectly normal to only hear sound from the main front speakers. You can change the "listening mode" on the receiver and select a simulated surround mode which will make sound come from additional speakers, but whether this is appealing or not is a matter of individual taste.

DMML

Auditioning
Real Name
Diego Monteiro
Thanks for the answer.
The blu-ray is working fine with the TV.
I've tried as you described to connect the blu-ray to the receiver, but it's still not working.
I believe they're just not compatible. The receiver is old and probably doesn't support the audio format of the bly-ray, which appears to be PCM.
I'll probably have to buy a new one. Although, if you have any other ideas, I'll be happy to try.
And thanks for explaining about the radio listening, I was stating to think the speakers had a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lamywaby
Recent bookmarks