What's new

Conker: Live and Reloaded (1 Viewer)

KyleC

Supporting Actor
I've been waiting for this game for a long time. It was originally supposed to come out last year but was postponed. It went gold this week and will be in stores next week. I've played the demo and it looks AMAZING for an xbox game. The graphics are superb, and the game is funny as hell.

The multiplayer is like Battlefield with infantry and vehicles (not sure about flags). It looks like this will be a killer game for Live.

For more visit:
http://www1.gamespot.com/xbox/action...w_6126887.html

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen001.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen017.jpg

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images..._screen036.jpg

Some MP info:

"There are six distinct character types to choose from in the multiplayer game. Each character has special abilities--such as self-heal, feign death, infravision, and a cloaking ability--and most character classes get unique weapon upgrades as well. The characters all have unique primary weapons, and some are faster than others. The grunt uses a machine gun and is good as a general-use character. The sneaker is best for close-range combat, as it uses a saber and has the feign-death and cloaking abilities. The heavy-damage characters are the demolisher and the thermophile, who are equipped with a bazooka and flamethrower, respectively. There's also a sniper class and a sky jockey, who can pilot air vehicles."

"The vehicles include: the Toad MK. II, an all-purpose land vehicle with a mounted turret gun; the R-Hog, a fast but light assault vehicle; the Tankus, a slow but powerful tank vehicle; and the Steed and Mule 52, which are both airborne vehicles. There are also weapons terminals on some levels where you can choose to manufacture an automatic turret gun that will mow down enemy foot soldiers in the area, a missile launcher to guard against airborne attacks, and a set of three land mines you can place throughout the level."

The MP modes offer a mix of CTF and objective based on the level. I can't wait!

BrianB

Senior HTF Member

Not according to IGN who were pretty down on the live play in their review they just posted.

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Yeah I did read that review but it seems like the problems they listed can easily be fixed with a patch. Here's hoping...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Well, this game is worth picking up for the single player game alone if you haven't played it before. I still have the N64 version, so I'll probably pass on this (unless it's a cheap used copy down the line), but if you missed out on the original, give this a try. Decent platform game that's really funny in places. I kind of wonder how all of the movie riffs will play now though, since it was designed to be a little more "up to date" in 1999.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Kyle

Changed IMG tags to URLs as those pictures were well above the 40K embedded limit for the forum.

I played the OXM demo as well and was pretty impressed. It's too bad that the live gameplay isn't living up to expectations as that was the big hook, given the single player game is identical (retooled graphics aside) to the original.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I was really looking forward to this, until I heard they cut out all of the original multiplayer from the N64 version. Now Im seriously considering not picking it up...

KyleC

Supporting Actor
Well I'm six hours into the game so far and man is it funny!! I never played the original so this was well worth the purchase already. David what part of the MP did you read was cut?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
There was a beach mission where one team was the cute Allied team and the other was the Tediz. The Allied try to sneak around the base and into the truck, where freedom awaits. Tediz try to stop em.

It was tons of fun, but to cut that from the XBox version was just too big a loss for me. Glad to see your enjoying the game though, you're gonna love it in the end!

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
They cut the WWII beach multiplayer level from the XBox version? That's too bad. I spent more time and had more fun playing that on the N64 version than I did the rest of the game combined.

In just a few weeks, this has gone from a must-purchase-at-launch-for-$50 game, to a will-wait-for-it-to-hit-$20 game, to a now-that-I-know-they-cut-the-best-thing-from-the-N64-version-out-of-it-I'll-probably-never-buy-it game.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
This is confounding. While I didn't have more fun with the beach multiplayer level than the actual game, which I maintain is the most balanced platformer Rare ever designed, I'm shocked it isn't included on the Xbox. On the N64, blurry graphics and a poor framerate really hindered 2+ player splitscreen play. You'd think they'd spruce it up this level and include it. This honestly makes no sense at all.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
I feel the same way- I was buying the game for the multiplayer elements. Now that they arent there, I have no feelings for this game at all. Glad I didnt pick it up before knowing this.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
From my point of view, Rare's choices have been questionable for the last several years. I'm sure the people at Rare, or someone in the industry might see things differently but they've gone under the radar in a big way. I was a huge fan of Rare's titles all the way up to Conker, but since then I've seen a smattering of serviceable handheld titles and a tiny handful of console titles with long development cycles and little product. Maybe I'm missing something that Rare has done to advance gaming, but it's not immediately obvious to me.

The Good: The Conker remake is fun. I never got a chance to play this all the way through on the N64, but what little I remember from Bad Fur Day is re-realized to unbelievable effect (despite the omission of certain areas). Graphics are beautiful and the humor is intact. However, there is so much that could have been done to make it better than it is.

Every aspect of the in-game presentation, including the between-area loading screen is a reminder that Rare is selling this as a WAR/BADASS/COMBAT title. No quirky touches that might sell this as a risque, lesser-played platformer spoof anywhere. It's all guns, guns, guns. And for a game with so much emphasis on furthering the "Ghost Reconnaissance" in gaming, the basic combat (notwithstanding the later levels) hasn't evolved at all.

I also remember the 'storm the beachhead' multiplayer map from the N64 version. Very memorable, incredibly fun, and yes, it appears to be missing from 'Live and Reloaded.' What a downer. The maps that do exist, at least the ones I've tried, are somewhat boring by comparison.

What's next from Rare? Given their latest entry, I could see the following coming true one day:

Banjo Bazooka: Banjo joins a squad of elites called the Bear Armed Denizens Always Sniper Shooting (B.A.D.A.S.S. for short). Armed with an array of state of the art assault weaponry, a fine cigar, and a masculine grunt, Banjo (and kazooie in a wasted cameo) enter the fray to do war.

Despite my gripes, I am really happy that I picked up this title. Major, major trip down memory lane with this one.. I'm a sucker for remakes of truly excellent titles.

Users who are viewing this thread