Congress may affirm fair use rights for consumers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Gardiner, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    [​IMG] This would be a nice bill to become a law. Although I don't see it happening, she's got my attention and my support.

3. RichD

RichD Agent

Post Edited By Administrator - Do Not Repost Political Rhetoric!
    Unfortunately, that bill just isn't going to happen. There's no time left this year, and even if it were it simply wouldn't pass.
    Hollywood (the recording and movie industry) is an absolute machine. They line up massive support for their measures the old fashioned way ($27 million in donations --
    There's no remotely comparable effort on the side of the home owner. None. People simply didn't scream loud enough when Napster was shut down. There isn't any sustained outcry against the evil that is coming down the pike in the way of a "broadcast flag" for digital TV (i.e., kiss your expensive WEGA goodbye, it'll be useless if Hollywood gets its way), the Hollings bill, etc. Unless the opposition gets organized -- with money --, a lot of bad stuff is going to happen, bit by bit.
    [​IMG] On a happier note, there will be a vote to save webcasters this Monday, unless they reach a deal by that morning.
    Webcaster bill Post article

4. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Quite funny. Why do I think that they are doing this to themselves? If they would have left it alone in the first place our lawmakers could get down to more serious matters.

Glenn

5. Ken Stuart

Ken Stuart Second Unit