What's new

Congratulations to Marshall Joyner (1 Viewer)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Just wanted to let everybody know that Marshall Joyner, AKA Black00 on many forums and my partner in crime, broke the old Tennessee state record in MR3 (headrest reading) with a 150.3dB on a LinearX mic this past weekend. He accomplished this with 3 Adire Audio Tempests in a single enclosure tuned to 30Hz and 1000 watts.:D

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Obviously not. Of course nobody is in the vehicle when doing the tests and he doesnt listen to the system at those levels while driving.

It's a lot like those that sup up cars to see how fast they can go on the track on the weekend. Most abide by the speed limit throughout the week but want to see how fast they can take them on the weekend. Same thing with DB comps.

Marshall Joyner

Auditioning
Thanks kyle.
I'll tell ya...didn't know how well this was gonna go over when i was shown the thread....didn't look too good at first.

Frank...i tried to IMG the pictures for you but i wasn't allowed..have to have more than 15 posts to post a link for spammer resistance..which makes sense but it 0'd my whole post...so i dunno what to do other than kinda cheat it...

.visionaryaudio.
com/black00.
html
Just so you can see the pictures of it.

Kyle is right...
Its kinda like drag racing. Only compete when its time to..otherwise its street mode...
I don't listen to music at 150db at the head rest..not a good idea....Fact is..I have to focus all the system ability to blow 40hz at 150+db at the head....and to play music while its set like that sounds awful and is very very difficult for the subs. It is indeed illegal to be in the truck during the burp when you get to a certain level or you are disqualified...
The truck is very very musical and can hang in the sq department.

The truck is 2000 S10
Box is 20 cubes
3 tempests
333.33333 w per sub heh 1000w total power.
was tuned to 28hz..now tuned to 30
40hz blast at full concentration yeilded 150.3db on the linearX PCRTA at the head rest. (called Reality Score)
Set a new state record, took TN state championship in that class and put me in #2 in the top 12 in the league.

Highly impressed by the fact that the HT guys are showing some tolorance for CA... much respect due for the effort of adversity. Good luck with the new room, i'll stop in.

Thanks for the kindness...

And again thanks kyle.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter

:eek:
Here I was thinking dual 7.5ft^3 sonotubes in my bedroom was big:).

Just curious, how do they divide up the different classes for competitions?

Marshall Joyner

Auditioning
divided up first in "Street Classes"
Amatuer and Consumer.
Amature 1, 2, 3
Consumer 1,2,3,4

Then Modified

Then Radical X

Then Reality which is what i do
Reality has
Consumer and Modified classes of the same number scheme.

We put you in classes according to your equipment set up.
And take your MaX total power and total cone area and divid it by 2 and give you a points spread to fall in.
For instance PRESSURE CLASS FORMULA:

TOTAL CONE AREA (p X R^2 X # OF WOOFERS) +
TOTAL POWER @ MINIMUM RECOMMENDED IMPEDANCE
divided by 2

For example: a car with 2 10" subs and a 200 watt amp.

Total Cone Area = p X 5^2 X 2
Total Cone area = p X 25 X 2
Total Cone Area = p X 50
Total Cone Area = 157.08 sq. in.

157.08 (Total Cone Area) + 200 (watts) = 357.08 / 2 = 178.54
so this combination would place you in the CS1
(consumer street I)

And so on and so on..
Reality is done the same way...we just put the mic at the drivers head rest.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
3 tempests in 20 cubes tuned to 30hz, that's gotta be nuts. I have a single tempest in 3.5cf tuned to 24 powered by 350w which is enough for me. There is a boost at about 40hz in my car as well.

150db... I thought my puny setup playing about 130db was crazy. (Actually, 130db is pretty nuts when you're in the car) :)

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
I had a truck just like that one up until 2 weeks ago(mine was an '02. That is just insane at the thought. I think the term AWESOME comes to mind.

This Texan must take his hat off to ya!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"Highly impressed by the fact that the HT guys are showing some tolorance for CA"

I think that many of us "home theater guys" came from a background in car audio.

MAYBE we didn't compete, but most of us owned a vehicle before anything us and we had/have a need to personalize our vehicles.

Brent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks