Congratulate me, I did it.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bhagi Katbamna, Dec 8, 2001.

1. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Over the past 6 years, I have taken Martial Arts. I started Hapkido when I was in Cleveland and when I got to Brown Belt(probably about 12 mos. before Black Belt) we had to move due to a job.

I started taking Tae Kwon Do in May of 1998. I just finished my Black Belt exam and got my black belt today. It was a pretty tough exam and about 4 hours long.

To prepare for it, we(there were 3 of us) started with a sprint workout(about 3 miles total) in Sept.(I actually started in July).

This was our routine for the past 3 mos.

Mon: Cardio-Kickboxing 1 hour, class 1 hour

Tue: 3 mile run under 27 min.

Wed: Cardio-Kickboxing 1 hour, class 1 hour

Thu: 3 mile run under 27 min.

Fri: Rest, recuperate

Sat: 3 mile sprint workout(400 meters alternating with 200m)

Cardio-Kickboxing 1 hour, Class 1 hour.

Sun: Rest.

Despite all this preparation, it was still tough. Harder because I'm 35.

So anyways, fyi and I welcome any comments.

2. Alan K

Alan K Agent

Congratulations, that is impressive.
    I myself have been on a similar training schedule. Just replace "Cardio-Kickboxing" with "napping" and "mile run" with "beer chug". [​IMG]
    Seriously, congratulations on your accomplishment.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Congratulations, my friend is like a 50 million degree Brown Belt but for some reason his style is not one where Black Belts are given out too often nor cheaply. On the days after his class, I ask him to show me his new bruises. I show him my bike injuries and he shows me his karate bruises!

Jay

4. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I took some KenPo in college. It was really fun. I would have liked to continue with it more, but I just never had the time.

5. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Kick ass. Way to go! Congratulations. Everytime I watch a martial arts movie I think to myself "I'd like to do that", then when the movie is over I forget about it. Anyhoo...nice job.

Jon

6. Frederick

Frederick Second Unit

I've been thinking about taking martial arts next year with my girlfriends son (he's 7). They're a lot to chose from in Chicago, but I've been leaning towards Jujitsu, mainly because there's a gym close to her apartment that teaches it. How did you chose which art to take? I've been told that I'd probably do well in Kenpo due to my size (6'4", about 260-270 lbs), but since the little guy is 7, and he's small for his age, I'm not sure if it'll be a good fit for him. Any advise?

Freddy C.

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Congratulations Bhagi, it takes a lot of dedication and committment to maintain a schedule such as that, you earned it!

8. Tiffany A

Tiffany A Stunt Coordinator

Awesome! What a great display of self-determination. Wish I could borrow a little for my New Year's Resolutions!

9. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

Congratulations, a very respectable accomplishment. Which style do you prefer Hapkido or Tae Kwon Do? I have thought about training in Hapkido.

10. Bhagi Katbamna

Thanks for all the kind words. Jay H, I was a brown belt for a year and a half so it takes a long time even after brown belt.

Fredrick at your size you would be a natural at Judo or Jujitsu. Both are very good for kids, so go for it.

Bobby T: I actually preferred Hapkido because it had some very cool moves. It had a lot of joint-locks, throws, and ground-grappling. It is a combination of Aikido, Tae-Kwon-Do and Judo. But that being said, we do joint locks, sweeps, reaps, and learn throws in TKD the more advanced you get.

Overall it has been a great experience(something I wanted to do since about the age of 13). I am in as good shape now as I was in College when I ran and played tennis.

11. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    Congratulations Bhagi! Indeed this is a great accomplishment.

I'm learning Tang So Doo but I have yet to achieve a black belt. Learning martial arts is a lot of work, but very rewarding.

Keep up the great work!

12. Bhagi Katbamna

Tom G, keep up the good work. Don't get discouraged by the tough times(there will be tough times) and keep plugging away. I think Chuck Norris' original style was Tang-Soo-Do.

13. Sam C

Sam C Stunt Coordinator

Congrats ... I had attained the rank of 2nd degree Black Belt in '92 ... It's a hard path ... I've done quite a bit of teaching in a good friends school but I've been away from the Martial Arts(In training) for 6 years now ... Recently I thought of beginning again ...

Is your instructor from ATA ??? I was involved with ATA for some time ... I was instructed by Mr. Niel Singleton who is no longer w/ ATA but is now a 7th Degree and also a one-time holder of many Kickboxing World Championships ...

Ever hear of Mr. Neil Beisel ... Many times World Champion ... He was a member of a demo team that I put together ... Ms. Jenny Luther (she's married now) ... Those were the good old days ... Master Lee ...

Oh well like I said ... Congrats ...

14. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Once,

I was offered to take Kung-Fu, but I declined because I would have to warm up before classes...

I hate warm-ups!

Nathan

15. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

ummmm, If we don't congragilate you, will you beat up up? [​IMG] Congrats man. Now on to second degree BB

16. Bhagi Katbamna

Our school isn't affiliated with ATA.

17. D. Scott MacDonald

D. Scott MacDonald Supporting Actor

Congratulations! I received my first degree black belt in Tang Soo Do in 1992 and it was one of the most rewarding moments in my life. (Actually, Tang Soo Do officially uses midnight blue instead of black, but most people I know wear black anyway.) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to work out much in the last 8 years since I got married, and had to stop altogether when my first child was born five years ago. I've bene thinking of getting back into it lately, but am somewhat afraid of the time commitment.

Anyway, congratulations again!

18. Brian W. Ralston

Brian W. Ralston Supporting Actor

Brian W. Ralston
    Congrats! I know what that experience is like because I received my first degree black belt in '90. I studied the Japanese style Shoto Kan Karate. It took me about 5 years of training to get to my first degree Black Belt in Shoto Kan.
    The exam was an all day affair for me. After hours of Kata testing, questions, basics, etc....the end included a 10 minute sparring session against 5 other black belts from our dojo (one at a time). Every 2 minutes, a new person would come in fresh while I had to keep going without break. This was truly an endurance test and I was so completely exhausted at the end, I could hardly stand.
    I was able to train for some time afterward and even taught some classes, but I have not trained now in quite a while. I moved to AZ and stopped. I am now back in CA where my dojo is, but just don't have the time anymore to really commit to training.
    The knowledge is still there though.....I just can't do the splits or any flying kicks any more. [​IMG]

19. Bhagi Katbamna

20. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

Speaking of kicking ass, will you kick mine?
    [​IMG]
    Congrats!!