What's new

Congratulate me, I did it. (1 Viewer)

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Over the past 6 years, I have taken Martial Arts. I started Hapkido when I was in Cleveland and when I got to Brown Belt(probably about 12 mos. before Black Belt) we had to move due to a job.

I started taking Tae Kwon Do in May of 1998. I just finished my Black Belt exam and got my black belt today. It was a pretty tough exam and about 4 hours long.

To prepare for it, we(there were 3 of us) started with a sprint workout(about 3 miles total) in Sept.(I actually started in July).

This was our routine for the past 3 mos.

Mon: Cardio-Kickboxing 1 hour, class 1 hour

Tue: 3 mile run under 27 min.

Wed: Cardio-Kickboxing 1 hour, class 1 hour

Thu: 3 mile run under 27 min.

Fri: Rest, recuperate

Sat: 3 mile sprint workout(400 meters alternating with 200m)

Cardio-Kickboxing 1 hour, Class 1 hour.

Sun: Rest.

Despite all this preparation, it was still tough. Harder because I'm 35.

So anyways, fyi and I welcome any comments.

Alan K

Agent
Congratulations, that is impressive.
I myself have been on a similar training schedule. Just replace "Cardio-Kickboxing" with "napping" and "mile run" with "beer chug". :)
Seriously, congratulations on your accomplishment.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Congratulations, my friend is like a 50 million degree Brown Belt but for some reason his style is not one where Black Belts are given out too often nor cheaply. On the days after his class, I ask him to show me his new bruises. I show him my bike injuries and he shows me his karate bruises!

Jay

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I took some KenPo in college. It was really fun. I would have liked to continue with it more, but I just never had the time.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Kick ass. Way to go! Congratulations. Everytime I watch a martial arts movie I think to myself "I'd like to do that", then when the movie is over I forget about it. Anyhoo...nice job.

Jon

Frederick

Second Unit
I've been thinking about taking martial arts next year with my girlfriends son (he's 7). They're a lot to chose from in Chicago, but I've been leaning towards Jujitsu, mainly because there's a gym close to her apartment that teaches it. How did you chose which art to take? I've been told that I'd probably do well in Kenpo due to my size (6'4", about 260-270 lbs), but since the little guy is 7, and he's small for his age, I'm not sure if it'll be a good fit for him. Any advise?

Freddy C.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Congratulations Bhagi, it takes a lot of dedication and committment to maintain a schedule such as that, you earned it!

Tiffany A

Stunt Coordinator
Awesome! What a great display of self-determination. Wish I could borrow a little for my New Year's Resolutions!

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Congratulations, a very respectable accomplishment. Which style do you prefer Hapkido or Tae Kwon Do? I have thought about training in Hapkido.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the kind words. Jay H, I was a brown belt for a year and a half so it takes a long time even after brown belt.

Fredrick at your size you would be a natural at Judo or Jujitsu. Both are very good for kids, so go for it.

Bobby T: I actually preferred Hapkido because it had some very cool moves. It had a lot of joint-locks, throws, and ground-grappling. It is a combination of Aikido, Tae-Kwon-Do and Judo. But that being said, we do joint locks, sweeps, reaps, and learn throws in TKD the more advanced you get.

Overall it has been a great experience(something I wanted to do since about the age of 13). I am in as good shape now as I was in College when I ran and played tennis.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Congratulations Bhagi! Indeed this is a great accomplishment.

I'm learning Tang So Doo but I have yet to achieve a black belt. Learning martial arts is a lot of work, but very rewarding.

Keep up the great work!

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Tom G, keep up the good work. Don't get discouraged by the tough times(there will be tough times) and keep plugging away. I think Chuck Norris' original style was Tang-Soo-Do.

Sam C

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats ... I had attained the rank of 2nd degree Black Belt in '92 ... It's a hard path ... I've done quite a bit of teaching in a good friends school but I've been away from the Martial Arts(In training) for 6 years now ... Recently I thought of beginning again ...

Is your instructor from ATA ??? I was involved with ATA for some time ... I was instructed by Mr. Niel Singleton who is no longer w/ ATA but is now a 7th Degree and also a one-time holder of many Kickboxing World Championships ...

Ever hear of Mr. Neil Beisel ... Many times World Champion ... He was a member of a demo team that I put together ... Ms. Jenny Luther (she's married now) ... Those were the good old days ... Master Lee ...

Oh well like I said ... Congrats ...

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Once,

I was offered to take Kung-Fu, but I declined because I would have to warm up before classes...

I hate warm-ups!

Nathan

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
Congratulations! I received my first degree black belt in Tang Soo Do in 1992 and it was one of the most rewarding moments in my life. (Actually, Tang Soo Do officially uses midnight blue instead of black, but most people I know wear black anyway.) Unfortunately, I haven't been able to work out much in the last 8 years since I got married, and had to stop altogether when my first child was born five years ago. I've bene thinking of getting back into it lately, but am somewhat afraid of the time commitment.

Anyway, congratulations again!

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Congrats! I know what that experience is like because I received my first degree black belt in '90. I studied the Japanese style Shoto Kan Karate. It took me about 5 years of training to get to my first degree Black Belt in Shoto Kan.
The exam was an all day affair for me. After hours of Kata testing, questions, basics, etc....the end included a 10 minute sparring session against 5 other black belts from our dojo (one at a time). Every 2 minutes, a new person would come in fresh while I had to keep going without break. This was truly an endurance test and I was so completely exhausted at the end, I could hardly stand.
I was able to train for some time afterward and even taught some classes, but I have not trained now in quite a while. I moved to AZ and stopped. I am now back in CA where my dojo is, but just don't have the time anymore to really commit to training.
The knowledge is still there though.....I just can't do the splits or any flying kicks any more. :frowning:

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
The exam was an all day affair for me. After hours of Kata testing, questions, basics, etc....the end included a 10 minute sparring session against 5 other black belts from our dojo (one at a time). Every 2 minutes, a new person would come in fresh while I had to keep going without break. This was truly an endurance test and I was so completely exhausted at the end, I could hardly stand.
I went 5 rounds about 1 1/2 minutes long against 6 people(one at a time) then 2 more rounds one on one after about 2-3 min rest, then 2 rounds against 2 people at a time, then 1 round against 3 people. During the one on one rounds, I got kicked on my leg(still limping today) and in the groin(was wearing a protector but still hurt) with low(illegal) kicks. The worst part was after getting kicked like that, and having to come back and fight again. I was also exhausted at the end and was actually shaking. On a lighter note, I still can't really do the splits(although close).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks