What's new

Congrats to PARAMOUNT for the $19.95 price drops! (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Edit: As is obvious from the post bellow, this was posted in a totally different thread. Anyway, I guess the question should be revised as to whether the particular titles I mentioned are due for a price drop.
End of edit.
I am still having a hard time swallowing paying $29.99 for bare-bones catalogue titles that have been out on DVD for a while, which describes The Parallax View & Barefoot in the Park amongst other Paramount DVDs.
Is their any hope that Paramount will start dropping prices on older titles? Sony (Columbia) and Fox among others do it (and of course MGM & WB charge peanuts to start with).
Does anyone have an insight on this?
Ted

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Paramount has started to reduce prices on some of their catalog titles that have been out awhile. See the "price cuts" section of videotropic.com and a thread on this in the Studio and Manufacturer's Feedback section of this forum.
EDIT: Whoa, how did that happen? The post before this one, and then my reply here, were originally in a new thread in Software. Merging them into this thread that I referred to in my reply wihtout any explanation is probably confusing people. Or at the least making us both look stupid.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Just picked up Payback today at the lower price.

Gonna pick up Planes, Trains,... and Ferris Bueller tomorrow.

Thanks again, Paramount.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
Have to admit i'm kinda surprised by Paramount charging $25 for the September titles with very little in the way of extras. Nowadays most studios price their barebones titles at $20.

I get the feeling that the corporate structure at Paramount is very "bottom-line" conscious and they are not gonna add extra features unless it's a big title and done in house. I get the sense that if they don't feeling it will make a difference in sales they won't justify adding it!

David

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
Isn't it Mr. Blythe's job to alert the higher-ups of what all is really going on in the DVD world and how things are really done?

Barebones = Low Prices. Tell your bosses to look at MGM as an example.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
That's another great request for an anamorphic reissue (if not full-on SE treatment): The Hunt for Red October.
I'll chime in on my strong support and desire for this one as well.

On the price drops and the Tom Cruise titles, considering his recent negative comments about America, you should drop those to like $1.99. I foresee a big negative turn in his career.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Just saw trailers for K-19. With this being released, a perfect time for an anamorphic re-release of a great submarine movie, The Hunt for Red October. Also would like to see the other studio do likewise for Crimson Tide. Those 2 plus my U-571 and K-19 DVD's and I'll be back in my old bubblehead days.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I like Gray Lady Down, too.

Another good one, but I don't think it's on DVD or even VHS is The Fifth Missile. It is the movie adaption of the novel The Gold Crew, about an FBM submarine and a readiness test as to whether they would actually carry out a strategic missile launch, once the orders came down.

Users who are viewing this thread