What's new

Congrats to PARAMOUNT for the $19.95 price drops! (1 Viewer)

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I know I've been vocal in the past about the studio's pricing but I see by the January releases that they have several titles dropping to under $20. This is great news for us consumers and they deserve to be congratulated!

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
$13.56 at Deep Discount DVD :) ...Yes indeed, I'm quite pleased with this move by Paramount...now I will finally be getting Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, Airplane, Ghost, Varsity Blues, and several others listed for the reduction. Thanks Paramount.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Thanks for the price drops. I am now planning on purchasing at least a dozen Paramount titles I'd held off on before due to your drop, not only in older catalog titles (DEEP IMPACT, FUNNY FACE, etc.) but in the lowering of your retail price for new titles (SECONDS). I, among I am sure many others, appreciate the fact that you listen to us when we whine and complain, and actually act on our pleas.

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
For those who don't know, we dropped prices on 26 titles (from either $29.99 or $24.99) to $19.99 SRP. We dropped 10 premium titles (Braveheart, Titanic, Up in Smoke, Shaft, 10 Commandments and the Tom Cruise titles) to $24.99.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
For those who don't know, we dropped prices on 26 titles (from either $29.99 or $24.99) to $19.99 SRP. We dropped 10 premium titles (Braveheart, Titanic, Up in Smoke, Shaft, 10 Commandments and the Tom Cruise titles) to $24.99.
Martin, can you list the titles that are involved in the price drops. Thanks

Joe--

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Joe,

Go to deepdiscountdvd.com and check out the future releases for January 7th. Maybe someone will put up a list in this thread...

Glad to see some of these drops, the only one that I haven't already purchased, that I still want is Ferris Bueller's Day Off (already placed my order). I would assume that this will increase the sales of Planes, Trains and Automobiles, as well as Airplane (at least by HTF members).

The title that I noticed not included is the Hunt for Red October, hopefully this means that this early non-anamorphic transfer is going to be released sooner than later. I do already own it, but would repurchase in a heartbeat. It seems to me that most of the non-anamorphic releases have at least had a price drop, now it would be nice to hear that the new transfers are being worked on.

I will go ahead and speak for the group and say thanks. Personally, I am much more happy about the $24.99 price for the upcoming catalog releases. That means much more for my purchase plans.

Thanks again Mr. Blythe,

-Chad

(Now if I could only do something to move up the release of Major League to this spring.)

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I guess the price drops only apply to the USA. Checking the Future Shop website shows that "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" and "Ordinary People" are both $34.95.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hello, Mr. Blythe. The information regarding the drop in catalog title prices came from VIDEOTROPIC. I hope they are not in any kind of trouble for posting this info. I wasn't going to purchase those titles at the original retail price anyway, but hearing of the price reduction has me re-thinking many titles, and I will definitely buy about four of them. I am hoping that this policy will affect your sales in a very positive way, and that you will begin reducing retail prices of DVD's routinely after they have been on the market for a year or more. And while I have you on the phone, so to speak - I have been one of the biggest lobbyists for DON'T LOOK NOW...is that still on the docket for spring? Thanks again for your reply.

C

Christina_V

This is good news!
I thought i was seeing things and the store mislabeled a few movies as Planes Trains... & Face Off were only $15.99!
I'll definatly purchase some Paramount titles now that i've been wantng to get,but prices where to high for bare bones discs.
Thanks!!

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
Yeah, I was in Great Falls, MT visiting my mom, and we were in Target, and I saw the dropped prices. You should have seen me get all excited. I got Planes, Trains and Automobiles and Face/Off. I was going to grab Airplane, but decided I would save that one for later.

Still have yet to watch Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I have a huge stack of discs to watch. It was a VERY merry Christmas,

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying some of these at the lower prices.

(Still pissed about Di$ney's $$$32.99$$$ prices though!)

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
To address a few issues:

1. Canadian SRPs drop as well. The 26 titles go to $27.99 and the 10 go to $32.99 in C$.

2. Dick, I gave Videotropic some of the info but I think they get it separately through notification to retailers and etailers. It's fine for them to post it.

3. Don't Look Now is not on the May schedule - it moved back a bit but we're still aiming to get it out this year.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well, time to put my money where my mouth was. Gotta cave in to the girlfriend and get Ghost for sure, probably will pick up Airplane and Planes, Trains... as well.

Thanks for the price drops Mr. Blythe! I also picked up The Ghost and The Darkness when it dropped to $19.99 store price, although to be honest that one needs an anamorphic re-issue. Even with my RP91 scaling feature it doesn't look that great on my 16x9 TV.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
Thank you Mr. Blythe. I will be picking up these titles and more at the reduced prices.

I'd like to add my thanks for taking the time to read these posts and responding. It is very much appreciated.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
:emoji_thumbsup:
Good move Paramount! I think this will work to everyone's benefit. There's something about being able to get under that $15 price on the street.
Now hurry up with that SE of HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER, with a pristine new anamorphic transfer, and we'll really be happy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
That's another great request for an anamorphic reissue (if not full-on SE treatment): The Hunt for Red October.

Despite owning it already, I would repurchase this movie.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Martin Blythe said:
I thought that would get noticed. Tell me, where did you notice the price drops?
I noticed them in the HTF thread posted on 12/30th in the "Coupons & Bargains" Forum. Here's that thread. There I posted the full list from VideoTropics of ALL 1/8 price reductions, not just Paramount's.
Martin, I was one of the most vocal ones in the old thread, "Paramount: PLEASE DROP YOUR PRICES", and I cannot heap enough praise and gratitude in your direction for these cuts! Words are not enough to express my gratitude, but you know what I mean.
[rant]THANK YOU![/rant] :) :emoji_thumbsup:
I'll be picking up Officer and a Gentleman, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Rugrats (both of them), and possibly a few of the others. There are still other titles in the original thread that I hope you will drop soon, but this is a terrific step!!
For everyone else: Also worth noting, that another title I wanted - from Buena Vista - is being dropped to $14.99 SRP on 1/29! It's Adventures in Babysitting...which I originally mistook for a Paramount title! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks