What's new

Congrats to Fox's Peter Staddon! (1 Viewer)

StevenFC

Second Unit
Please, someone, convince me that this is a good thing. I'm happy for him but more than a little concerned. He'll still have DVD decision making input--correct??

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

From the way that the above announcement is worded, I would say that this "appointment" is actually in addition to his current work. So, as Robert had mentioned, he will be busy with his VP work at 20th Century Fox along with the added duties from be elected to the DEG committee.

Congratulations, Peter!

Tom Young

Agent
Congratulations Peter the appointment is well deserved. It was a pleasure meeting you and having you so involved with Home Theater Forum.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Congratulations, Peter! I will always remember what a kind, attentive and generous host you were that Friday for the HTF meet in 2000, and how much fun you were as another HT geek at Studio Day the next morning. :)

Joe

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Can't think of a better person to be voted
into the position.

Congrats, Peter! You have always been a class act!

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Congratulations, Peter! Good luck and thanks again for some of the best DVDs out there!

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Congratulations, Peter!

If you get the chance, maybe you can post a few words describing what the DEG does and what your role on the committee will be.

Rob

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Congratulations, Peter.
Thanks for what you already did for the good cause. :) Hope you may be able to continue that too, even with some more formal power, perhaps.

Cees

Mike D

Stunt Coordinator
The press release...
http://www.dvdinformation.com/News/press/053105.htm

More info about the DEG...
http://www.dvdinformation.com/GroupInfo/index.cfm

DEG: The Digital Entertainment Group is a Los Angeles-based, industry-funded nonprofit corporation that advocates and promotes the many benefits associated with DVD while providing updated information regarding the format to both the media and the retail trade. As an industry-funded, nonprofit organization, the DEG offers opportunities for member companies to engage in ongoing discussions concerning various issues and opportunities, which relate to other new digital technologies that may emerge in the future.

Their mandate seems somewhat vague. I could understand the usefulness of this organization in the early days to convince fence-sitters to jump on the DVD bandwagon, but now that the DVD format is so widely accepted, is their existence still necessary? What work are they doing on the HD formats? Are they "advocating and promoting" either format?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The Digital Entertainment Group is indeed the former DVD Video Group. Since 1997, they promote the DVD as a medium and are a sort of consortium of the video content "manufacturers" (especially the studios). Around 2000, they added Audio to their fields of interest and renamed the group.

As I understand it, they guard common interests (e.g. the DVD logo, marketing issues) and form a platform to discuss matters of common concern.

But, I think, an insider could explain it more thoroughly than I can. :)

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks