What's new

Confusion over DVI and HDMI (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
OK, I am a little confused. Is DVI a "subset" of HDMI? Is DVI just a better way of getting a signal to a TV or is the picture quality better as well? Is HDMI any better when it comes to the final quality of a picture? I read that HDMI also include sound. Is the primary advantage of HDMI the elimination of cables?
Thanks for your help.

SimiA

Second Unit
DVI can use digital data like HD video, and can support many channels with surround sound, and video resolution, such as 1080p.
DVI claims, it can give you a fast transfer of data up to the 4-5 gigabits per second.

HDMI works with a high definition signal, and enhanced definition signal, which DVI does not seem to be able to do.
The way it was explained to me is, HDMI is an all digital audio & video signal that's used between an audio/video source and a digital video source.

It will transmit all the video and audio over one cable, something I don't think DVI can do.

I don't know if it's a subset, but HDMI is supposed to be able to be used with DVI. I believe they are compatable.
Of course I could be mistaken.:D
Vb

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
HDMI's primary advantages over DVI are that it carries audio and works over longer distances. HDMI uses a smaller socket but an adapter can be used to plug HDMI cables into a DVI port: the video pins on HDMI and DVI are 1:1 compatible.

HDMI interfaces use HDCP copy protection while this is only optional with DVI. This may result in some HDMI and DVI equipped devices being unable to communicate with one another (such as an HDMI DVD player and a non-HDCP television with a DVI input). For video, as long as both the receiver (TV, projector, monitor etc.) and transmitter (DVD/HD-DVD player, set-top box etc.) are HDCP-compatible, the type of cable used should be interchangeable with adapters.

You won't see any difference in picture quality when comparing DVI and HDMI, at least in home theatre applications. Both support EDTV and every flavour of HDTV.

DVI and HDMI are very closely related, but DVI was developed as a video connection standard specifically with computer users in mind. HDMI is an evolution of this connection and uses the same basic technology, but is designed to be used in general audio/video applications. It is more of a 'jack of all trades' (and, with its more user-friendly features, a simple way to ease the newer HDCP copy protection system in place: like coating a pill in honey).

Adam

Elijah

Supporting Actor
DVI is Video Only. It transfers a digital video signal. It is currently the highest bandwidth=quality video connection you can have. It can carry HDTV Resolution Digital video, in digital format. Which is noteworthy because even though you may have an HDTV (also called a digital tv), and are feeding it a high definition digital video signal,unless you are using either DVI, or HDMI to connect the two you are not really getting a digital signal
For example if you are using component video cables, then the HDTV tuner has to convert the signal to analog, and then your TV/projtor has to convert it back to digital. You can see where the quality loss comes in when you have to convert the signal twice. With DVI you eliminate that double conversion, and carry a true full quality digital (bitstream) signal to the display.

As for HDMI, i believe it is EDITED - READ ABOVE POST - EDITED

There are several types of DVI. For digital, analog, and with copywright protection. I will find a link for you and post here that goes into pretty good detail on DVI and all its brothers and sisters : )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks