What's new

Confusion over 2 Channel Direct Modes? (1 Viewer)

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I'm confused about what exactly one has to do to achieve an actual analog direct mode with a CD player. I know my Denon 1802 does not have an actual direct mode like the 2802 does. But I downloaded the manual for the 2802 and noticed that it listed the sub as an option when in Direct mode. How can this be direct mode wouldnt the receiver have to do a A/D conversion for this. The only difference it seems between Direct and Stereo Modes is that Direct automatically engages the Tone Defeat. I guess what I'm asking is with my 1802 using an analog connection with my CDP if I use my Tone Defeat and set the SUB to off is this a complete direct mode or does the receiver still do that A/D conversion for the bass management even though it doesnt need to? The only way I've found to actually bypass everything for sure is to use my EXT IN jacks but this unnecesarily turns on my surround amps when I dont need them. Are the EXT IN the best way? Will the back amps being on take power away from the front channels even with no load on them? I read that the Onkyos power drops way down once a multi-channel mode is selected are the DENONS the same? Sorry for the long post. Can anyone answer some of these questions? Thnaks.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Jason,

I have an Onkyo txdx797. When go to "direct mode" I do not think it is as loud as "all channel" mode. I think it has equal power to every channel.

I used to love two channel music. But since coming into the multi channel home theatre age I simply love the much fully sound 6 speakers give. I guess if you had GREAT speaker for mains and lesser quality speakers for surrounds then direct or stereo would be better.

I know it didn't answer your question, but it did spark a thought.

Phil

John Royster

Screenwriter
Jason,

On the 3802 if you are in direct mode with the SUB level set to off (the one below -12) then you have a full analog path. I'm not sure on the 1802/2802, it might be a little different internally.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks