What's new

Confusion in the land of seperate stereos (1 Viewer)

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
Alright guys and gals. ive been surfing HTF for almost a year now and i have learned a ton. but im still confused about a few things and that is seperates. amps pre-amps mono-blocks, etc these words are thrown around and ive googled each and still cant figure out what goes to where and why. i understand buying a reciever and putting in the speaker wire and the interconnects and such. but amps and integrated amps and such just confuse me. but i want to learn cause im very interested in HI-FI even though i don't have the money yet as i am in college. thanks in advance for the help

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Preamp - volume control and "hub" for all your sources so you may switch from DVD to CD, etc... Has no amplifier, so you cannot get sound without a separate amp.

Pre/pro = preamp and processor - does preamp AND signal processing/decoding (for DD, DTS, etc...). Also has no amplifiier.

Integrated amp = preamp and amp only, no processing, generally stereo only.

Receiver = has preamp, processing and also amplification in one unit.

Amp - usually referrs to a separate amplifier that has no processing of any kind. Need a preamp to control volume and process any raw (digital) signals.

Monoblock = 1 channel amp.

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
thanks john!! that was very comprehensive. i can hold my head high now that im informed.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Have you read the Pimer and FAQ? This is explained along with many other things, you would probably enjoy reading that as well.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Pimer :D I know it is in the primer, but I figured I could summarize pretty easily too. The Glossarry audio terminology and definitions thread might be helpful also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks