Confusion in the land of seperate stereos

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by NickSI, Mar 6, 2006.

1. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Alright guys and gals. ive been surfing HTF for almost a year now and i have learned a ton. but im still confused about a few things and that is seperates. amps pre-amps mono-blocks, etc these words are thrown around and ive googled each and still cant figure out what goes to where and why. i understand buying a reciever and putting in the speaker wire and the interconnects and such. but amps and integrated amps and such just confuse me. but i want to learn cause im very interested in HI-FI even though i don't have the money yet as i am in college. thanks in advance for the help

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Preamp - volume control and "hub" for all your sources so you may switch from DVD to CD, etc... Has no amplifier, so you cannot get sound without a separate amp.

Pre/pro = preamp and processor - does preamp AND signal processing/decoding (for DD, DTS, etc...). Also has no amplifiier.

Integrated amp = preamp and amp only, no processing, generally stereo only.

Receiver = has preamp, processing and also amplification in one unit.

Amp - usually referrs to a separate amplifier that has no processing of any kind. Need a preamp to control volume and process any raw (digital) signals.

Monoblock = 1 channel amp.

3. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

thanks john!! that was very comprehensive. i can hold my head high now that im informed.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Have you read the Pimer and FAQ? This is explained along with many other things, you would probably enjoy reading that as well.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Pimer [​IMG] I know it is in the primer, but I figured I could summarize pretty easily too. The Glossarry audio terminology and definitions thread might be helpful also.