What's new

Confusion about "Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment in Fantasia 2000 (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi. I just got the Fantasia Anthology on DVD, and I have a question about the "Sorcerer's Apprentice" segment as it relates to aspect ratios. I have a Sony Wega TV that does the "anamorphic squeeze." When I was watching Fantasia 2000 last night, I turned off the squeeze when "Sorcerer's Apprentice" came on, because I know that it's from the original Fantasia, and therefore not in widescreen. However, I did notice that there were bars on the sides of the TV when the segment was playing. If the original Fantasia was a 1.33:1 aspect ratio, then why would there be black bars on the sides? Even if you want to be techincally correct and say the original Fantasia's OAR is 1.37:1, it is such a small difference that there should be no perceptible black bars on the sides of the screen. Can anyone educate me here, please? Thanks for your help.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Sorcerer's Apprentice is presented in anamorphic windowbox during Fantasia 2000. This preserves the aspect ratio for the new segments(framed at 1.85:1 flat) and the aspect ratio for the original segment(framed at 1.33:1 academy). On standard 4:3 TVs, anamorphic windowbox presentations will have black bars surrounding the image.

JFK and Galaxy Quest are other films that have anamorphic windowboxed portions.

Basically the 1.33:1 framed film is centered in a 1.78:1 or 1.85:1 frame which creates the black bars around the picture.

Clint B

Second Unit
Thanks, rutger_s. I didn't even think of that possibility. I guess I'll watch that segment with "the squeeze" still on, then.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Just think how crappy it looks to us 4:3 owners when they windowbox and anamorphically encode a 1.33:1 film. My player removes every third line of resolution in addition to having bars on all sides. I'm glad I have the original film. I skip SA on F2K when I watch it. *shudder*

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Sorcerer's Apprentice still looks good during Fantasia 2000 even with the anamorphic downconversion.

Its better then having an altered presentation like American Legends. Or having to change you 16:9 TV setting when The Sorcerer's Apprentice segment begin to play.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just think how crappy it looks to us 4:3 owners when they windowbox and anamorphically encode a 1.33:1 film. My player removes every third line of resolution in addition to having bars on all sides. I'm glad I have the original film. I skip SA on F2K when I watch it. *shudder*
I'm trying hard to think of a solution to this problem...
trying even harder...
...hmmm...
a 16x9 display :)
After watcing your anamorphic movies on a 16x9 display you'll be saying "Just think how crappy those letterboxed transfers look on a 4x3 display"...

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I think within the rest of the pieces,
it makes sense that they did a anamorphic
print of The Sorcerer's Apprentice
for Fantasia 2000.
Still, within a normal context, I do NOT
support anamorphic enhancement for Academy Ratio
films. Enhancement should be done all on all
films with an AR of 1.66:1 or greater.
Mark

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Still, within a normal context, I do NOT support anamorphic enhancement for Academy Ratio films. Enhancement should be done all on all films with an AR of 1.66:1 or greater.
Agreed, removing 180 horizontal lines of resolution is hardly "enhancement". Yet, occasionally somebody with a set having a poorly designed 4:3 mode proposes such a draconian measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks