confusion about calibration

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JohnPhi, Sep 18, 2003.

1. JohnPhi

JohnPhi Stunt Coordinator

I have a 57 h83 Toshiba RPTV. After running a callibration disk, my settings came out to be

contrast--35
    brightness--38
    color--47
    tint--12
    sharpness--20

I have a friend with an identical set and disk and he got drastically different seetings

contrast--50
    brightness--57
    color--48
    tint--12
    sharpness--20

Why are the results so different, just taste or how well we can see the small details with the set up

Surely the tv's would not be that different

we each tried out each other's settings, he thought mine were too dark, and I thought his were way to bright.

Any clues?

2. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

It's entirely possible for 10 different samples of the same model TV to end up with 10 different results. Colour and Tint will usually end up pretty close though. Brightness is a real wildcard. 50 Contrast is perfectly safe - 35 is far too low.

4. JohnPhi

JohnPhi Stunt Coordinator

why would 35 be too low. I have seen others or say they have it that low. Although it could be for a different set that does not go to 100?

5. Douglas Kinne

Douglas Kinne Auditioning

An Art. or is it Science?
    Mr. Golitsis is absolutely correct!

Everything that affects where the user settings end up is predicated more on art than science, unless accurate testing equipement is used on both displays in darkened environments. Even then the chances of having identical settings giving identical results is minimal due to differences inherent in the construction of the separate chassis.

Set up your respective displays keeping the art element foremost in your minds. Try not to worry about the numbers in the slightest, (save of course for overdriven white and or black levels) just get the displays to produce pictures that make you happy.

One thing I try to do for my clients with displays that allow such things, is to have them set up the different viewing modes (sports, movie, vivid etc.etc.) so that during different ambient lighting situations found in most homes, they can select the mode that best fits the respective scenerios ie. brighter picture settings during daylight and darker for evening viewing.

Have fun and good viewing!

Doug

6. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

Did you and your friend run the calibration disks through the same model DVD player? I would think that could affect the results as well; pluge, etc.