Confusion - 1080i/720p/540p/480p/480i

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Shaun Hubbs, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Shaun Hubbs

Shaun Hubbs Auditioning

Apr 5, 2002

I just got my new Hitachi 57G500 TV and it lists all of those video modes as ones it can handle. I did some snooping around the forum and have still yet to really figure out what they all mean. Could anyone help please?

Which one of them is the best? Should I use the Virtual HD function on the TV? I do understand that using such a function will not produce a true HD picture, but as I understand it it may help improve it a bit. Also, I have used the info button on the television to find out what mode it is in and I have yet to see it show that the source is anything but 480. Does this just mean that the source is of that quality?

Also, I have a progressive scan DVD player from SONY so should I have it set to progressive or interlaced? Is it true that if I just do interlaced and not progressive that the TV will "upconvert" the signal? Or what does that all mean anyway? =)

And lastly...I am just wondering about what format the picture should be in (4:3 Vs. 16:9). My other TV is a SONY 36" XBR and it auto-detects I guess because it is a regular 4:3 TV. For example, the Friends DVDs have their menus in 16:9 and the TV picks this up, but when the shows come on it goes back to 4:3 full screen the way it should be displayed. On this new Hitachi that I have it does not seem to auto-detect and so if I set it to 16:9 and then watch something like Friends it's a big mess. =) Is there any way around something like that or do I now just have to manually flip from 4:3 to 16:9?

Any help with any or all of the above is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-- Shaun
  2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Nov 1, 1998

These are the kinds of video signals your TV can accept. The VCR normally puts out 480i composite video, the TV handles it nicely. The HDTV set top tuner box normally puts out 1080i component video and the TV handles it nicely.

You should be prepared to switch back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9. The TV cannot tell the difference by examining the picture subject matter, rather there is some tidbit of information embedded in the video signal that tells which aspect ratio, and occasionally it is wrong.

Video hints: