Confusing endings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

The 6th SenseWhen I didn't get the ending, my brother told me that Bruce Willis is a ghost. What proof in the movie prooves this

Since the print of Citizen Kane on TCM was so blurry and was very very bad, Can you tell me What Rosebud is. (Please use spoiler tags).

TitanicWe all know that Leo dies, but what happens to Rose when she lies in bed and then could see Jack on the titanic with all people clapping. Did she die or did she just go to sleep.

AI I just didnt get it completly.

and Finally

RockyDoes he win or loose since I had the volume low so I wouldn't wake any one up.

If anybody could also give other endings out, that would help too. Just remeber to use Spoiler tags.

2. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

If this is a joke, I like it a lot.

If this isn't a joke, well, then... I'm sorry I laughed.

3. Ryan L B

Hey Gabe, Im really serious about this post!

4. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Rosebud was His sled we saw earlier in the movie
    Pratically everyone knows or should know what it is but here you go.

~Kevin

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

I thought the ending of the Sixth Sense was blatently obvious. But if you want proof:
    Cole Sear: I see dead people.
    Malcolm Crowe: In your dreams? [Cole shakes his head no] While you're awake? [Cole nods] Dead people like, in graves? In coffins?
    Cole Sear: Walking around like regular people. They don't see each other. They only see what they want to see. They don't know they're dead.
    In other words:
    YES, BRUCE WILLIS IS A GHOST!!!

6. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Okay, if you're serious:

Sixth Sense - Watch it again. It gives you the answer rather succinctly, replaying all the clues at the end.

Citizen Kane - Watch it again. But this time don't concentrate on what Rosebud is, but what it symbolizes to 'Chucky' Kane.

Titanic -

She dies and went to heaven where she met up with Jack again. It's a nod to "Somewhere in Time" with similar endings and both Rose and Jane Seymour are wearing similar dresses.

Rocky

He tells Adrian the night before all he wants to accomplish is to go the full 15 rounds since no one else had done it. But, he loses.

7. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Sixth Sense : hmmm Proof ? Bruce Willis only talks to eight year old boy who can see ghosts through entire film after he has been shot.
    anyway the film takes you through a load of clues at the end.
    Titanic - I always assumed Rose died at the end, because all the people standing around the staircase are all the people that died (no Cal!) the implication being that her soul/heart is where she left it. AWWWW!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Ryan L B

I was just a bit tired when I rented The 6th Sense.

For Titanic

some school friends of mine told me that they thought she lived at he end

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I think the ending of Titanic is ambiguous, probably by design.

She might be dead; she might just be dreaming (listen to the opening lyrics of the infamous Celine Dion song). The important point is that, by whatever means, Rose is reunited with Jack.

M.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Ending of A.I., Third act, or Epilogue, after David has become trapped on the ocean floor, staring at the Blue Fairy statue:

Jump forward in time 1000 years. Humanity has obliterated itself in future (for us) wars. The planet is experiencing an Ice Age. And Mechas (the robots) have continued to "evolve" such that they are now fully sentient, communicate in a telepathic-like way, yet still lack emotions.
    They discover David during ongoing excavations (seeking to uncover information about their makers, humans). They realize he can experience emotions, which they desire. As a tribute to him, and to better study him (I think), they create an artificial, holodeck-like, environment based on David's memories. And using a bit of DNA from some hair on his person, they are able to re-vitalize his mother, but only for one day. David, finally reunited with his mother (and wish granted by the Blue Fairy) experiences her love for the day. And when she "sleeps", so does he.
    The End.

I hope that helps.

11. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

How about the ending of Jacobs' Ladder ?
    It takes a couple of viewings and maybe some research and interpetation to figure out what the heck happened.
    My understanding is:
    He went to "heaven " with Gabe. His chiropracter was his gaurdian angel and the entire movie was his mind battling demons as he fights to accept death.

Other hard to get endings include:
    Angel Heart
    The Blair Witch Project (who's in the corner?) (oh, and by the way IMO if you don't like or get or are not frightened by TBWP, you have 0 imagination.)
    Or how about my all time confusing, seen it 5 times and have a new theory everytime, movie: 12 Monkeys

12. Ryan L B

If you mean the one in the corner as soon as the video dies. Its either Mike or Josh standing there. He has on a red shirt. Also the thing that flies past the screen is supposingly the Blair Witch. You decide on that on

13. Mark E J

Mark E J Second Unit

In the Blair Witch it was Mike in the basement. Josh wasn't even apart of the filming at the time, he went home after he disappeared.

As for Jacob's Ladder, what you probably don't know is that the last half hour of the film was removed right before the movie was released. This footage completely explains the ending and provides the most shocking scenes in the movie. Cutting this footage out was like watching the Exorcist with out the exorcisim scene. Why the director decided to cut out the films powerful climax is something I'll never understand. You ought to checkout the Artisan DVD it has three deleted scenes from the last half hour. It's by no means the whole finale but it gives you a clear picture of what was cut.

14. Sam Hatch

Sam Hatch Stunt Coordinator

I thought Lyne did a good thing with the ending of 'Jacob's Ladder'.

One thing that has bothered me though is:

Despite the fact that the majority of the film is the imagination of a dying man, it usually makes sense when you sort through it all. But -- the ending clearly implies that Gabe's death was a real event and that he died before Jacob went to Vietnam. We see Jacob remembering the accident in one scene. But in another, Jacob is sorting through his war box and drags out a letter from Gabe! So did he go to Nam, go back home -- watch his son die and then return to Nam and get killed??? I know the whole story is suspicious due to the main character's situation, but this is the one thing that kept me from understanding it earlier than I did.

I was hoping for a resolution in the commentary or in Bruce Joel Rubin's book, but no luck. Lyne did mention the kid who made the prop letter though. But that didn't help me much!

15. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

16. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    He Died with rosebud on his lips

Wm.R. Hearst name for shell we say Marion Davies most private part.

kd

17. Ryan L B

So does that mean that Josh just told them that he was leaving but just make up a story to make it seem scarier. Or was it the director who said that

18. George Monroy

George Monroy Stunt Coordinator

Will somebody explain 12 Monkeys?

19. Ryan L B

20. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    About 12 Monkeys, I disagree

Don't agree with you at all. I always thought it was pretty clear, the goal of the people in the future was not to PREVENT the plague. The Goal was to find an early specimen of the virus (before it mutated), so they would be able to eradicate it in the future (their present). The mission was NOT to change the past, and the peolpe from the future were not bad.

Cole took it upon himself to try and change his mission and actually stop the pandemic (admirable, of course). He was, unfortunately, unsuccessful and things played out the way they were supposed to.

Fortunatey, he did manage to get close enough to the one causing the pandemic (a bastard from the present) so that the "future higher-ups" discovered who he was. That woman from the future at the end was not the one who "caused the plague", but she did find the guy with the virus. This is good and this is where the movie ends. This was the mission. The mission was a success (although it wasn't Cole who ultimately finished it). We assume that she will get a sample of the virus and also make sure that the events of the past (our present) play out the way they are supposed to.

So now the future has a second chance. She will be able to return to the future (her present) with an early form of the virus and they will be able to (hopefully) find a cure, and repopulate the surface of the planet agan. Which was the whole point to the mission. They didn't want to change the past and maybe wipe themselves out of existance. All they wanted to do was get the original virus from the past so they could help themselves in their present. The intent was NEVER to CHANGE the past (that was only Cole's motivation).

At least that's the way I see it.