Confused

Discussion in 'Displays' started by GreggM, Jan 5, 2005.

1. GreggM

GreggM Auditioning

Wow what a site. I have come into some extra spending money this year and want to upgrade my current TV which is a 35" sony trinitron tube. My room is relatively small and there is little ambiant light (can be controlled) My seating is about 8' away. I do happen to have relatively decent HT Gear such as Rotel Seperates, Denon 3800 DVD player and Spendor bookshelf speakers and a large center channel speaker. I will deffinately be ordering comcast hi-def with their box and not cable card. My family watches alot of DVD Movies, Standard television etc. Now for around 3k what the heck do you buy. Space is kind of an issue but I am deffinately open to any and all suggestions. Technology to me is not the issue, the issue for me is good all around performance on all formats and to some extent space and ergonomics! I hope this makes sense.

Gregg

2. Ramon A

Ramon A Agent

check out plasmaplanet.com look at the toshibas dlp units
    very slick smaller cbibinets and top of the line performance.
    the 62" is around $3600 the 52" $3000 and the 46"just over 2k.
    I believe for the money you cant beat there perfomance or looks and the build quality is great.

3. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Hi Greg,

What exactly is your room size? Do you have lighting issues (ie bright or dark room.)? Can the lighting be controlled?

I ask mainly because you may want to consider a front projector at a fraction of the cost of a "big screen TV". The advantages for you is 1) they are small, and 2) a screen takes up a lot less room that these 50"+ behemoths and can even be retracted when not in use.

I use a regular 32" Sony Wega for daytime viewing and regular TV (less than $1k) and a BenQ 6100 DLP projector (

4. GreggM

GreggM Auditioning

John,

My room is not large at all Width is 20' and depth is approximately 13' My seating is about 8-9' from the screen currently (will change a bit, incresase, once i get the new TV) Lighting is not really an issue i can control the light with shades plus i face north and only 2 small windows on the wall where the TV currently is. I would love a bigger screen but it would have to be installed in such a way that the Wife approves!!!

Gregg