What's new

Confused! (1 Viewer)

Pete Bishop

Agent
I just set up my HT. There are a lot of things I don't understand. Here is a list of questions I need answered:

Subwoofer:

1. Instead of using the hardware on the sub for things like crossover and phase, my receiver took that function over automatically. Is that right?

2. What is Phase and how do I determine whether or not to reverse it?

3. How do I know what to set the crossover to? I have my receiver set to have the bass out on my sub and my 2 fronts. For some reason my fronts didn't sound very full when I had the bass directed to just the sub. However, in order for the fronts to sound good, I have to set the crossover for at least 80hz. I didn't notice a difference in how low the bass sounded on the sub from 40hz to 80hz. Am I doing this right? What is the ideal way to set this up?

4. When I used the YPAO system on my Yamaha, it set the DB on the sub pretty low. I adjusted the sub up to 7db while the rest of my speakers are at about 3 to 4 db. Does this sound right? I don't have the sub too Loud?

5. On my old receiver, the volume I kept my system at read between -40db and -35db. On my new receiver, at the same volume I like, it reads between -15db and -10 db. Is something wrong here or is it just different because it is a different brand reciever?

Daman

Second Unit
Pete :) am not an expert but can share my experience because i too recently upgraded from my previous yamaha to htr 5790

Again, i too used to listen at -40 to -35 dB on my previous HTR 5650 but on the 5790 im listning between -25 to -18 dB or so..so i guess you are not the only one experiencing this.Wonder why that is though.. probably might have something to do with YPAO setting freq response to flat through the room which wasnt the case with the earlier reciever..

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
1) No, the crossover IS handled by the receiver, and you can adjust volume on both the receiver and sub. Turn the sub's x-over all the way up or disable it. (What sub?)

2) Phase is normally left at 0, but you should flip it between 0 and 180 to see if there is a difference, leave it on the one that is louder. If there is no difference, leave it on 0. This is typically used when you have an overlap in sound between the mains and sub, in case of phase cancellation.

4) Turn the gain on the sub up a little, and down on the receiver a little to balance it out a bit more. If it sounds good to you, and isn't bottoming out, leave it. You determine x-over by the low extension of your other speakers, the x-over should be set at one or less than one octave above the -3dB of the speaker. If that is 50Hz, then you would set the x-over at either 80Hz or 100Hz, whichever sounded best.

5) The volume numbers from one manufacturer to another, and even between different models of the same brand, do not correspond, so don't use this to compare.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry, I didn't give enough info. -3dB of your speaker is the specs that the manufacturer reports, so if the specs are: 40-20Khz, then those are assumed to be the -3dB figures. What speakers? You should be able to look your speakers up online for the specs.

An octave is basically a doubling of the frequency range, for all intents and purposes (human hearing range) starting at 20Hz-40Hz, 40-80, 80-160, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks