Confused with JVC XV-S60BK/XV-S65DG video DAC Spec.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rong Chen, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Rong Chen

Rong Chen Extra

I am looking to go progressive scan DVD to upgrade from my faithful Sony 530 very soon. Now I put my eyes on the JVC XV-SA60BK for its highly raved PS video quality and features like non-anamorphic scaling. (Thanks Ron-P and many others with helpful inputs)

However, someone mentioned in a thread that XV-S60BK/65GD uses 10bit/27mhz video DAC, the ones with DVD Audio (SA75BK/75GD) use 10bit/54mhz video DAC.

I remember a while ago when the DVD component video cables were discussed, it's said that for progressive scan DVD's the bandwidth required to send 480p signals to TV is 54mhz, vs. 27mhz for 480i. It makes sense to me since 480p doubles the number of lines.

I went to various sites including JVC's own website, all have the spec stating S60/65 have 27mhz DAC and SA70/75 have 54mhz DAC. I am very confused since both are progressive scan DVD players and difference would only be on DVD audio decoding. Wouldn't 27mhz video Dac be used for interlaced DVD players? I know the cable is not DAC, but would the cable/DAC specs are coming from the same requirement?

I really do not care DVD audio for now since we do not have enough DVD audio releases yet. But if it's true the SA70/75 video DAC is better than the ones used in S60/65 resulting better PS video quality, I would just get SA70 for its video for the ~$50 price difference.

I would like to do a head-to-head comparison, but all local stores carry only the gold version (both 65 and 75), I don't like the idea returning them all since I know I am not going to keep one. Too bad that I cannot accept a gold component piece in my HT room. I have to order the black one online. Online return seems a big hassle to me.

Thanks!

2. Rong Chen

Rong Chen Extra

Any one?