What's new

Confused: Why input video into AVR? (1 Viewer)

Learski

Auditioning
Real Name
tim
I apologize for the newbieness, but I did read through the last 100 days worth of posts to see if the answer might be in there -- no luck.

I'm considering buying a BluRay to go with my AVR which is a 2005 (?) Yamaha RX-V630 with only component jacks, no HDMI or even DVI, my monitor is a 2004 Panasonic Tau (flat-faced tube, 1080i max) with only DVI-D, component and S video jacks. All home theater instructions that I've read online state that I should input all of the video into the AVR but given my AVR's lack of HDMI ports, pushing BluRay video through a "component" device rather than inputting directly into a DVI-D monitor seems like it would degrade the quality. I'm thinking it would be better to push the video directly from the BluRay to the monitor via HDMI-DVI cable and input only the audio into the AVR via fiber optic (or might there be audio sync problems?). Lastly, the max resolution on the Tau is 1080i so do any of my concerns about video quality really matter anyway?!?

Thanks much!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Others may disagree, but I think the difference between 1080i and 1080p has been overstated. But you can always try it both ways and see whether your eye can tell the difference between the component and the HDMI/DVI routes.

M.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No matter how many components you run it throudh, HDMI will never degrade in quality like analog. Because of the digital format, error detection, and error correction, HDMI is not subject to gradual degradation of the signal. You either get the whole signal or it is unwatchable (i.e. massive sparkling due to null values or, more often, a totally blank screen). For the same reasons, you can never improve your picture by purchasing expensive HDMI cables. If your picture is viewable, then you are getting the entire signal and less connections or more expensive cables cannot improve on "entire."

That said, the connection you mention (HDMI->TV, Audio->receiver) is your best bet.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You want blu ray for HD video, but not the HD audio?
You won't get the HD audio from blu ray movies, using an optical cable. You'll need to use HDMI, or 5.1 analog outputs, for the HD audio. The optical will be fine for watching your regular dvds though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks