What's new

Confused: What is the latest rumor/fact on the Indiana Jones Trilogy? (1 Viewer)

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
As far as I am concerned, they could call it "Shithead and the search for the gold box while racing against the Nazis" as long as they get the movie on DVD within the next year or less.
...ah, I can envision the HTF topics on that future date:
MY B&M DEALER RELEASED SHITHEAD EARLY!
WHY THE FLIMSY PACKAGING WITH SHITHEAD?
DOES YOUR SHITHEAD FREEZE UP ON CHAPTER 8?
SO WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO RELEASE JERK-OFF AND ASSWIPE?
Jon
------------------
--Owner of the North American rights to the small-orange-for-a-head joke. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/005319.html

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I too could care less what they call it. I will list it under "R" in my DVD database, regardless. :)
Does anyone have the VHS edition of IJatRotLA? Was the title changed on the film, or just on the box?
If I recall the discussion at the time of the VHS release under the new name, it was just on the box...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
David,
The remastered VHS release that came out a couple years ago said "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark" on the box, but nothing was changed on the actual film.
The video and audio looked quite good for VHS. I'm just imagining how nice it would be on DVD. This movie is my #1 want right now - just above the orginal Star Wars movies.
[Edited last by Dave H on October 21, 2001 at 12:41 PM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Blimey - so they actually changed the titles on the film itself or just the box? Did they remaster them on the last release? I have the one before that (PAL Widescreen) with the Making Of... video for Raiders in it.
------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
2.)The Digital Bits reported over the summer that Raiders of the Lost Ark would be released on 2002. It will be only the first film in 2002, and not the entire trilogy. They refused to post more details saying something like "We got it from a good source, and we're not saying anymore than that." Source: The Digital Bits Rumor Mill
I sincerely doubt that. Raiders is considered "Episode II" in the Indy series, so if they were going to start with just one, it would most likely be Temple Of Doom. I just can't see them releasing them out of order. Even in the VHS box set, they placed Temple Of Doom before Raiders.
Jeff

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
How's this for a pessimistic schedule (providing that it's lucasfilms meddling)
  • 2001 The Phantom Menace
  • 2002 Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • 2003 Attack of the Clones
  • 2004 Temple of Doom
  • 2005 Last Crusade
  • 2006 Return of the Bride of Vader (or whatever Lucas calls Ep. III)
  • 2007 Theatrical 30th anniversary rerelease of the Original trilogy reedited to reflect the prequels. About Five minutes of the original film remains, but those were deleted scenes. on the dvd front Young Indiana JOnes chronicles are released in a "complete" box set which mystersiously doesn't include the ten episodes of the twelve year old indy, despite being called complete, but lucasfilm brushes this off as a minor semantical difference.
  • 2008 Box Set of the Special special edition of the original trilogy, no seamless branching is available
  • 2009 repackaging of the indy trilogy as a box set, including a supplemental disc of George Lucas filibustering. Advertised as the last time to own the original
  • 2010 Theatrical thirtieth anniversay rerelease of the Special edition Indiana Jones Trilogy
  • 2011 Box Set of the Indiana Jones Special Edition
  • 2012 Box Set of the Original Trilogy with seamless branchign but only to the special edition cut
  • 2013 Box Set repackaging of the Prequel trilogy includes now standard supplement disc of GL filibustering. Billed as the last chance to own teh originals
  • 2014 Theatrical fifteenth anniversary rerelease of the special editions of the prequel trilogy
  • 2015 Box set of the Special edtion prequels no seamless branching
  • 2020+ Box set of original trilogy with seamless branching to original theatrical cuts. Before viewing you must go through at least thirty screens asserting that you know you are watching the worst version of these films, that the special effects will be bad, it's not what the director wanted, no one should really want to see this etc. just before you get to the actual film, a video clip of George Lucas pops up admonishing you for not wanting to watch the film as he envisioned it when he originallly made it in 2006. After this bonus video, 99% of players lock up and won't play. For those lucky enough to get to the original cut, the seamless branching is done so there's a significant pause at every difference from the special editions.
    sounds like fun. :)

Matt Giggey

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
Just because one has the "right" or freedom to do something, doesn't mean it's the best or correct choice to make. You need to make the distinction between the two. Besides, can you please show me where I stated that Lucas and Spielberg don't have the right to do anything to these films?
I was being sarcastic (notice the rolling eyes) in response to the people supporting the E.T. changes. I would be outraged if the Indy movies were altered in any way and I would never buy or watch them.
------------------
Link Removed

Martin A

Auditioning
In a show on the performance channel yesterday I saw Harrison Ford in a "Inside the Actors Studio" show. It is bascially an interview with guy for about an hour ..
Anyway he said there would be an Indy 4 but.....
He said that he said that because he wanted it to happen and it was dependent on Lucas and Speilberg.
The final BIG but is this interview happened in 1994 .. oh well.
Martin

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, Matt - I missed the sarcasm. :)
[Edited last by Dave H on October 22, 2001 at 10:29 AM]

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
At the L.A. National Meet, Martin Blythe met us at the hotel. We specifically asked him about the Indy trilogy. His answer [paraphrased]: Not any time soon. Other studios have already exhausted their 'A' titles, while we still have a lot left.
Reading between the lines, this sounds like they have a plan similar to Disney's Platinum line - one major film per year over the next ten years. I would still expect the trilogy to come out as a box set with all three films rather than one at a time.
------------------

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I have no information, but fourth quarter 2002 sounds probable for the Indiana Jones Trilogy. That said, I have three hopes:
1. I hope there is no Indiana Jones 4. I may be alone in this, but Lucas and Spielberg shouldn't mess up a good thing.
2. I hope the Trilogy is released as one, and I hope these are definitive versions.
3. I hope the packaging will be keep cases and NOT something similar to the Godfather Trilogy.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Matthew_S

Second Unit
I hope there is no Indiana Jones 4. I may be alone in this, but Lucas and Spielberg shouldn't mess up a good thing
Well, I don't know how they could do that. I mean Lucas has gone back to doing Star Wars films and he hasn't totally ruined that series now has he? I mean, Episode I hasn't forever tarnished the series, has it?
rolleyes.gif
And another thing, Lucas and Spielberg really like to make their films and leave them alone. None of this "tinkering with my old films because i just can't let go" syndrome...
wink.gif

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Rumors of an Indy 4 began swirling in 1993 or so, when Lucas was working on the Young Indy series. Nearly ten years later, it hasn't happened yet. Harrison was pushing it when he did Last Crusade at 47. He looked incredibly well preserved, but the the thrill is gone, folks. Ford is now literally about as old as Connery was when he played Indy's DAD in Part III. If that isn't a hint, I don't know what is.
My guess (and really, that's all that anyone can offer at this point) is that Indy will get a 2003 or 2004 release, when Lucasfilm has no Star Wars product hogging the spotlight. As much as it sucks for us, there's no reason to throw out everything you got in one month or year.
And yes, I'd be worried about the revisionist history that Lucas is obsessed with. While it's true that these films 'belong' to him in a sense, I don't see many artists selling a painting and then touching it up while it's hanging in the gallery. Certainly, cleaning up bad SFX for a video release is acceptable, but using crude CGI merely for the sake of using it is absurd. Equally dumb is using it to change around entire character motivations and traits (see Solo/Greedo). Of COURSE films are going to look dated when they were made 20 years ago! They are a product of their time.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
According to DVDFILE, they spoke with Martin Levy (Speilberg's publicist). DVDFILE states:

"Other Spielberg titles not currently in the pipeline include the Indiana Jones trilogy, which won't see a DVD release, at least in 2002..."

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
That's too bad. They could at least give us Raiders of the Lost Ark next year. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks