Confused: What is the latest rumor/fact on the Indiana Jones Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanR, Oct 19, 2001.

1. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

That other thread about "wanting the Indiana Jones Laserdiscs" got me thinking about these DVDs (or lack thereof) again.
    However, I gotta admit, I'm all confused. Here's what we've heard lately:
    1.)All three films are in preparation for DVD release (i.e. the elements are being pulled, prepped, and transferred). This started some discussion here that Martin Blythe of Paramount would not confirm or deny. The rumored release was/is 1st half of 2002. Source: "DVDForever" at DVDReview.com bulletin board. This person has been REALLY (like 100% if I'm not mistaken) accurate in the past.
    2.)The Digital Bits reported over the summer that Raiders of the Lost Ark would be released on 2002. It will be only the first film in 2002, and not the entire trilogy. They refused to post more details saying something like "We got it from a good source, and we're not saying anymore than that." Source: The Digital Bits Rumor Mill
    3.)Some small movement has occurred, but don't expect it soon. Source: Our own Ron Epstein. However, his comments were brief and had very little detail and no speculation on a possible release.
    4.)The Beverly Hills Cop trilogy is coming early next year. Martin Blythe has stated that this trilogy and Indy Jones are in the same "class" (i.e. Class A) of titles that are being released slowly over time. Does this mean definitely no Indy in 2002 and possibly even not in late 2002?
    Does anyone know anything else? Any other rumors?
    What do you guys personally believe about this whole situation of rumors that run the gamet of "it's coming" to "it's not coming"?
    Regards,
    Dan

2. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

To qoute the Paramount Rep at studio day:
    "Ask George."
    That is the latest...
    Daniel L

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Whenever these come out on DVD, I hope they will be UNTOUCHED in terms of altering them. This has me a bit worried since Lucas and Spielberg did these films.
    But, if you think about, how many politically incorrect lines were in these movies that spielberg would want out and how many CGI affects could Lucas ad? Hopefully, these movies will be safe.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

6. Matt Giggey

Matt Giggey Stunt Coordinator

7. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Let's keep the complaining about revisions to the ET thread.
    I'm still curious about your "hunches" on when we'll see this. Do you think we'll see it in 2002?
    As far as Paramount saying "Ask George", that is a rather convenient answer. Both parties need to work together on this.
    I have a slim hope we may see it in late 2002, but I'm not sure. If Lucas decides to release Star Wars Episode II in late 2002, then I'm thinking 2003 will be the year for Indiana Jones.
    Regards,
    Dan
    [Edited last by DanR on October 20, 2001 at 12:25 PM]

8. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I think that if they changed even one thing on them, I'd buy the tapes and when the process became available, I'd transfer the VHS over to DVD. Screw the quality!
    As for the release date(s), I find it sad that they are so hush-hush about it. What would be the harm in announcing something like - it should be out before the end of '02, but there is a possibility of a delay if we run into unforseen problems.
    Oh, my bleeding heart! Gee, we're (well, some of us anyway) waiting for all 6 of Star Wars in '06, or something like that.
    What does stick in my mind about these being released is that originally they stated that they changed the name of Raiders to IJ & The Raiders... not only to put them in a consistant set, but to distinguish them from the Young Indiana Jones TV series. They were planning on releasing all of those at the same time too, putting the volume number on the spine, and Raiders would have been something like number 25 or so. This would add about 20 hours of film to their job.
    Glenn

9. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Matt,
    Just because one has the "right" or freedom to do something, doesn't mean it's the best or correct choice to make. You need to make the distinction between the two. Besides, can you please show me where I stated that Lucas and Spielberg don't have the right to do anything to these films?

10. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Glenn,
    So, based on your last paragraph, are you thinking part of the delay could be that Lucasfilm wants to release not only the movie trilogy, but also simultaneously release the entire Young Indy Chronicles?
    That's an interesting thought!!! Based on the amount of supplemental material on Episode I, I could see it taking a while if they wanted to do similar stuff for the YIJ Chronicles.
    Perhaps this is why The Digital Bits is reporting only Raiders will be released in 2002? Maybe it will be released in Paramount's historical "august big title" slot.
    Regards,
    Dan
    [Edited last by DanR on October 20, 2001 at 12:52 PM]

11. Quint van der Vaart

Quint van der Vaart Second Unit

Hi Dan!
    Well this is my thought on this matter.
    I think Indiana Jones Trioligy will be released next year
    round October say (Like Godfather and in time for the holidays).
    Sure paramount will say it is way off , that's what Lucasfilms said a year ago about any Star Wars film being released on dvd.
    The masters for all 3 movies excist , a couple of years ago they cleaned up the movies and gave them Surround EX soundtracks.
    This was also in the news just when the new Indy lasers with Dolby Digital 5.1 were announced and then later they were mysteriously canceled without any reason.
    No mark my words Indy is coming in 2002 , Paramount wants and needs it because many A-list titles are already released (godfather , braveheart)
    As for the august title I'll bet it will be something like Grease.
    Greetz
    ------------------
    There is another world....The DVD WORLD !!

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I'm not sure if they have any supplemental material for the series, but after it ended in the US more episodes were released for TV in some other countries. A few were combined, like in a 2 parter becoming a 1-1/2 hour movie, but whatever they are doing, they've had plenty of time to do it. I just hope that it won't be on 30 DVd's at $20 a pop. Ouch!
    Glenn

13. Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker Screenwriter

Keith Plucker
    I wouldn't expect to see these DVDs until the 4th Indie movie comes out. The marketing tie-in is just too sweet. And since the 4th movie is still a ways off, I would expect the DVDs will be a long wait.

14. Sam E. Torres

Sam E. Torres Second Unit

my predictions:
    1. there will be no indy 4
    2. raiders of the lost ark will not be released by itself, which also lends me to believe that it would be impossible to release it in 2002, seeing as how everyone is so busy and all. remember, this is also paramount we're talking here...they will want to release the entire trilogy and overprice it [​IMG]. you know why? because we'll all buy them anyway! wooo! isn't this hobby great? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    [email protected]

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

No, they blew it for Indy 4. Ford is too old now. They have talked about having an Indy 4 for years and it was supposed to take place after WWII, so Ford would look about the right age, but they waited too long, and any replacement for him would never work.
    '02 would be nice. I'm keeping my fingers crossed [​IMG]
    Glenn

16. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Interestingly enough, The Digital Bits has a massive update in the rumor mill. Here's what it says regarding Indiana Jones in the Paramount section...

17. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

I just hope they don't they don't call Raiders "Indiana Jones and the Radiers of the Lost Ark" like they did for the VHS re-releases. That was a terrible idea. On the DVD I just want it to say "Raiders of the Lost Ark" like it should be.
    ------------------
    Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html

18. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Tom,
    I think you are going to be out of luck there.
    As far as I am concerned, they could call it "Shithead and the search for the gold box while racing against the Nazis" as long as they get the movie on DVD within the next year or less. [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Dan

19. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

Oh, I agree. It won't distract me from a purchase, I just hate the title change. Heck, I'll just make my own cover if that is going to be the case.
    ------------------
    Please vote for a Richard Donner Re-Cut of Superman II
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/003753.html

20. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Tom,
    I remember a while back Digital Bits reported that Raiders of the Lost Ark was, in fact, offically changed to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.