What's new

Confused - what do I need to improve my setup? (1 Viewer)

detroy

Auditioning
Real Name
deb
We have a 46" Vizio LCD TV, into it is the following:

Acer Revo via HDMI

DVD player, HDMI

Wii, component

Cable tv & Homerun HD antenna (joined via splitter), coax connection (no cable box or card)

M-Audio AV40 speakers, regular audio cable (red/white)

Logitech Squeezebox Boom plugged into aux connection on speakers

We would better sound, ease of use, and most importantly, even sound levels. Right now, using the Vizio remote, choosing "tv" (for the basic cable channels), the sound is VERY loud. Choosing Wii (component), DTV, or either HDMI, the sound is pretty low. So every time we get done watching one of those we have to turn it way down so when my husband turns on "tv", we don't get blasted away. We've tried turning the volume up to 100% on the REVO but it still can't come close to the loudness of the "tv".

I'm thinking we need a receiver? Would that even out the sound levels? Would the speakers sound better?

Things I'm concerned about:

Needing multiple remotes (we like simple)

Power consumption (as low heat and low power as possible)

Space (it's set up in a corner, not a lot of room)

Expense - trying to keep it $400 or below

Thanks for any help!

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
Welcome Deb,

It looks like you would benefit from both a receiver and new speakers because the one's you have are self powered. That is going to be a tough thing to do on a $400 budget and your best option is a HTib. Here is what most of us consider one the better HTib are made by Onkyo as they feature real recievers with the connections you will need both now and in the future and the speakers can also be upgraded in the future.

Amazon has it on sale for $391.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S5300-7-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQRG/ref=sr_1_9?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1294006279&sr=1-9

detroy

Auditioning
Real Name
deb
Thanks for the info! A couple questions...

We have coax cable that goes from the wall directly into the tv (no cable box). How would that go into the receiver?

If we didn't have a universal remote and just wanted to watch tv, would we need to use more than 1 remote?

The reviews mention changing to a heavier speaker wire - is that really going to make a noticeable difference? I'm sure I could do it if necessary, but I don't know anything about it, really.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by detroy
If we didn't have a universal remote and just wanted to watch tv, would we need to use more than 1 remote?
Yes, if you wanted surround sound.

detroy

Auditioning
Real Name
deb
Originally Posted by Robert_J

How would that go into the receiver?
Your TV has digital audio outputs as well as analog outputs (hopefully).

[/QUOTE]

From the coax the tv gets some digital channels, they are the local HD ones and are on the tv's DTV selection. We also get basic cable analog channels (TCM, AMC, etc) on the TV selection (my husband is extremely fond of those channels). I don't see a coax input in any receivers. Would the coax still go directly into the tv, with the digital audio going from tv to receiver?

The tv does have a digital audio out.

Yesterday I swapped out the REVO HTPC for a Mac Mini. It will be easier for us to use the live tv through that (it was bad with Windows Media Center). But it would still be nice to be able to get the cable stations without having to use the computer.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
You are correct today's receivers do not have connections for coax cable. Unless you decide to up grade to either a HD cable box or Digital cable box you are going to have to get your audio signals from your TV audio outputs.

The advantage of today's HT receivers is they act as the hub and switch of your system where all of your equipment connections are made. For example you would connect your cable box HDMI out with a single HDMI cable to your receiver HDMI in. You would connect your Receiver HDMI out with a HDMI cable to your TV HDMI input. Your TV then becomes nothing more than a PC type monitor. You would connect your Mac to your receiver with a HDMI. You would do your DVD the same way with a HDMI cable. The advantage of HDMI cables is they carry both video and audio signals.

A good universal remote would allow you to control of the connected devices with one remote.

detroy

Auditioning
Real Name
deb
Ok, I get it now. In order to have the basic cable w/out box, I plug the coax directly into the tv (as it is now), and use the digital audio out from tv to receiver. No fancy sound but that's ok.

This HTIB comes with speaker wire and power cord, any other cords/wires (probably not...)?

I know I need the audio cable (toslink?)

Mac Mini HDMI->receiver

Wii component->receiver

(no more DVD player, included w/Mini)

Squeezebox audio cable->receiver

I have all the above cables. From receiver to tv I need a HDMI cable (have that too).

Is there anything else I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks