:confused: What do I have to buy? :confused:

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Tim Beebe, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Tim Beebe

Tim Beebe Stunt Coordinator

Tim
    In a month or so I will be getting my first HT system. I live in a 2nd floor apartment and my living room is roughly 12 x 12. Just in case it matters, here's what I'm planning on getting:

http://www.psbspeakers.com/
    Image 4Ts, Image 1Bs, Image 8C, Subsonic 6i

with...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product
    Yamaha HTR-5590

So, I know the system I want, but what are some specific products I'll need? What are the little things that people always forget or are needed to perfect the system? Here's the things I've found looking through the FAQ.

01. A Calibration Disk - I'm leaning towards Avia because I'm a newcomer
    02. A SPL Meter... brand/model suggestions?
    03. Banana Plugs - How many? What brand?
    04. Speaker Wire - How much? What brand? What gauge?
    05. Surge Protector - brand/model suggestions?
    06. Component Cable for Receiver to TV - brand/model suggestions?
    07. Xbox High Def Pack or Advance AV Pack. This one's weird. I'm not crazy, right? This IS the same product, isn't it?
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/advancedavpack.htm
    http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/h...tionavpack.htm

My PS2 and Gamecube already have S-Video, so there's really no reason to buy component cables.

So, opinions and suggestions are obviously wanted [​IMG] Also, did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance everyone! [​IMG]

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

1. Avia is regarded as the best for all worlds. It's also the easiest to use.
    2. The only one to consider is from Radio Shack and it will depend on what you prefer(Digital vs Analog).
    3. I've used the Monster ones(easy to use) but some like the other brands. Some are included with a wire purchase(mostly).
    4. This is a big question really because we could literally be here all day. Some will say go the cheap route with stuff from Home Depot, some will say go with something a bit better and then a fight breaks out on what better is. Decide for yourself really. If you are running in wall wiring you need In wall rated wire(I'm going with Liberty from Ramelectronics.net) for my rears. I'm spending a little more on the mains with Canare Star Quad but you could go multiple routes here. I would recommend for your mains and center you stick to 12 guage. 14 guage for your rears should be fine or you could go the 12 guage route as well.
    5. I like Panamax myself some like Brickwall, some like Monster, some like the $10 cheapos.
    6. I'm looking at Beldan 1694A and then a guy at work can terminate them for me(if I pay him of course). If you wish to just buy it and be done with it, then our sponsor bluejeanscable will do fine.
    7. No they are different. The Hi Def pack includes an optical output + Component video outs + will allow you to do Hi Def gaming. The Advanced AV pack has S-video + optical outs. The difference will be if you have a Hi Def set or the component inputs for the box. The difference is remarkable to me. One warning: the cables that come with the Hi Def kit or the other kit SUCK. Again I would look at bluejeans and go that route.

You'll need a subwoofer cable as well. Bluejeans can provide that for you for a price of course. They are fairly affordable.

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

01. That works fine
    02. The Shack. Analog type. I understand they're supposed to have some new models coming out as we speak. Make sure you've got something like a tripod to afix the unit onto in order to get accurate calibrations. Hand held doesn't cut it.
    03. Depends how you want to wire your speakers. I lean towards bananas on the receiver and spades on the speakers. If you go with spades, you'll need to simply make sure the spade opening is large enough to go around the terminals. Since you've got 5 speakers, you'll need 10 bananas if you're doing just the receiver. They can be bought at RS also or online at partsexpress as well as other places. You'll find that they can be found as singles or doubles but again, in the case of the latter, you need to make sure the spacing accomodates that of your receiver.
    04. Enough to do all your runs with a couple of feet left extra to allow for repostioning. Likely a 100 foot spool gives you good cost effectiveness. At partsexpress it's soundking...nice and flexible. For another take, consider knukconceptz which has a sharp looking blue wire at fairly reasonable prices. 12 gauge works fine for everything. You'll also find that they sell bananas too at about $2/each.
    05. Cost is no indicator of better here. You need a device to hook everything up into + your tv cable. Consider a Stratitec (available at Sam's club for ~$20 or online at directron.com for a little more) or for a unit that has EMI/RFI isolation between outlets, the TripLite Isobars go for around $60.
    06. If you're going mail order order the component videos from the same place. Partsexpress has their Dayton line as well as others.
    07. Not a gamer though my kid is...don't know.

You need a sub cable but those can be bought anywhere. How's the speaker pricing going?

4. Tim Beebe

Tim
    Pricing had stalled out for a week. I got a little lazy but I'll get back on track this weekend. ^_^

5. Tim Beebe

Tim
    07. UPDATE!!! Ok. I need to know which X-Box thing to get because I'm still a little confused. I don't have an HDTV, but if it doesn't hurt to buy that one, I'll get it instead of the one that has S-Video. Especially because an HDTV looks like it will be my next purchase. Also, will I need an extra component cable for it? Like this?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=181-668

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Does your current TV accept Component video now?

If so then buy the Hi Def pack and run it 480I for now until you get a set. That is what I'm doing now. Then later(2 months at the most), I will pick up an HDTV and be able to fully use the Hi Def pack.

7. Tim Beebe

Tim
    *nods* Yup. It runs component. I'm just a little confused as to how I run the cables. I'm pretty sure, but let me ask to verify. I run the component cable from the Xbox to the Receiver and then another component cable from the receiver to the television. It's that simple right?

That does bring up one small question though. My Gamecube/PS2 will be using S-Video. So it will be S-Video from the GC/PS2 to Receiver and Component Video from Receiver to television. Is there anything wrong with that? Besides not getting the BEST picture I mean.

8. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

It depends. If your receiver won't up-convert s-video to component, you will have to run an s-video cable from your receiver to your TV as well.

Or you could just run one component and one s-video cable directly from your game systems to your TV if you don't care about letting your receiver do video switching.

9. Tim Beebe

Tim
    *frown* Hmm... how do I know if it upconverts? Anyone know offhand? It's a Yamaha HTR-5590. Or if not offhand, what should I look for?

Here's the official information.
    http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi...R00010HTR-5590

EDIT UPDATE!: Wait, could I also just buy an S-Video Cable, hook that up from the Receiver to the TV as well, and just switch that way? I just want to make it so I don't have to unplug anything all the time. But still, if the above question is possible, that's a first choice.

10. Tim Beebe

Tim
    Alright. I finally bought the first half of my HT system. I purchased the Yamaha from Amazon and all the little things I'll need to complete the system (plugs, wires, surge protector etc). Now all I need to do is build up a little more money and get the speakers! Whoo hoo!

11. Tim Beebe

Tim
    Oops. I need some help. I got the Component and S-Video cables I needed. I didn't realize that it wouldn't come with the audio as well. :b The only experience i've really had previously with these kinds of cables are video games, and everything comes together with them. So, anyway, what cable do I need? Does this work?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/show...tnumber=181-622
    For anyone that's too lazy, it's a Dayton Coaxial Digital Cable... help me out with one other thing. That's just one cable, correct? Meaning I'd need to buy two, one for the left audio and one for the right audio? Am I right on that?

12. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Tim,

Regular RCA cables (usually terminated with red and white plugs) will work fine. The item you've posted from partsexpress is intended for a digital connection (such as the one from your DVD player to your receiver). Two of these cables would certainly work for your left/right audio connections, but if I were you, I would save some money and buy some plain RCA cables.

If you are by chance talking about the audio connection between your DVD player and receiver, then yes, you would only need one cable.

--Nathan

13. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello Tim,
    I don't know if this will help, it sounds like your video connections are all set up now, but I figured I'd mention that I recently bought an HDTV Component System Selector comprised of 4 component inputs and one output to your tv or receiver. It also has Left/Right analog audio input connections for all of them. Basically I didn't have enough inputs on my receiver since I have three pieces of equipment which use a component connection. It works great and was quite cheap. Just FYI. By the way, I would reccomend picking up a component cable for your GC. Playing games in 480P makes a BIG difference (once you get your HDTV). Hope this helps a little,
    Marty.